Induction Cooktops

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
We are replacing a cooktop and thinking about getting an induction version. Do any of you have one and if so how do you like it? Any brand recommendations?

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
We do not have induction, we have natural gas. We had regular electric ranges for a long time, but I like the gas much more. I think it's easier to control the temperature, and I like having immediate temperature response. There's no electric coil that has to cool down before your water can stop boiling, food stops simmering, etc. So when you accidentally start burning the butter in your skillet, you turn the heat down and the smoking and browning stops immediately. I'd imagine an induction range would have similar temperature control to gas. I've heard your can't use stainless steel cookware on induction ranges since stainless is typically not magnetic.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
Ok, I am going to try a novel idea hear on CF and actually answer the question that was asked.

We have induction and really like it. The flat glass top can be used, in general terms, as a counter top. Easy to clean. It heats up fast. It isn't hot except for the heat that is transferred from the pan.

Only thing to keep in mind is not all pans work on it. That limits your options there. We took a magnet to target to find a set that would work.

Overall, no regrets in our household.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
From what I understand the general rule is if a magnet will stick to the bottom of a pan then the pan will work on an induction cooktop

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'm not sure if you do any canning but the weight of a water or pressure canner can break an induction top.
I would think for children it would be a pretty safe stove top for use though.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
I'm not sure if you do any canning but the weight of a water or pressure canner can break an induction top.
I would think for children it would be a pretty safe stove top for use though.
Interesting. We haven't used a pressure cooker, but my wife uses a Dutch oven frequently without any issues. We've had ours over 4 years now.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
We got a Whirlpool one 3 or 4 years ago and really like it. Be prepared you may have to get new cookware and throw out a lot of your old stuff. Have a Whirly-pop??? Not anymore. :twitcy:

Cooking on it is a lot different, but once you adjust to it, it's better. It does boil water quickly and you can instantaneously change the heat levels. I do like how the cook top doesn't get/stay nearly as hot.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Interesting. We haven't used a pressure cooker, but my wife uses a Dutch oven frequently without any issues. We've had ours over 4 years now.

Not sure about that statement either. I wouldn't see how it's any different than any other flat top stove. I use heavy cast iron stuff and have canned some stuff. Hopefully not borking up my stove! :shocked:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron