In-Ground Basketball Hoop Install

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
My advice for DIYers was something I figured out:
Once pole is bolted down, lower backboard brackets all the way down. I was able to backup my pickup and set the backboard on the tailgate top lip, lift a little, then put bolts thru.

That’s exactly how me and my buddy ended up doing it. The **** part was digging through rock hard clay and mixing/pouring 15 bags of concrete.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
A 16" diameter x 48" deep hole isn't insignificant. And the 12-13 bags of concrete mix might be more than you want to deal with mixing it in your wheelbarrow.

But, I guess it depends on how much money you want to save vs paying your chiropractor.
I used to do crap like that when I was younger but not any more. I'm proud I've been successfull enough to pay to have stuff like that done. As Danny Glover said...

8JCg.gif

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
Just did mine a couple weekends ago. It sucked, but really only took me about 6 hours by myself.

Mine called for a 21” x 21” pad and I ended up about 52” deep. And I think 14 - 80 lb bags.

I’d imagine any random handy man in the classifieds would get this done.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I used to do crap like that when I was younger but not any more. I'm proud I've been successfull enough to pay to have stuff like that done. As Danny Glover said...

8JCg.gif
We had a trampoline for two years.
Assembled it the first, tore it down over winter, reassembled and then said it's getting pitched.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
As someone that did it themselves, don’t do it yourself. It ******* sucks.

No advice beyond that.
Me and another guy did a neighbor of mines. The other guy had a skid loader with a post hole auger (large one) so he dug the hole and then we tile spaded it to the right size. Got the concrete in and plumbed the base. Once that is done, it’s a cake walk, but if you screw that up, you e screwed the whole thing up. The guy who owned did jack squat, but that was for the best.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Me and another guy did a neighbor of mines. The other guy had a skid loader with a post hole auger (large one) so he dug the hole and then we tile spaded it to the right size. Got the concrete in and plumbed the base. Once that is done, it’s a cake walk, but if you screw that up, you e screwed the whole thing up. The guy who owned did jack squat, but that was for the best.

It’s a necessity to have a post hole digger. I rented one from the hardware store and made quick work of it when I did mine. This wasn’t a fun project but wasn’t the worst I’ve done by any means.

Reactions: BCClone

IAsnow goose

Aug 5, 2020
I just did this myself along with my 11 year old son. Took an evening to dig the hole. We rented a cement mixer from Home Depot in West Des Moines which was the best thing we could have thought of.

Reactions: Jer

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I went with GoalSetter just so they'd install it. You might call them and see who they use.

Help Support Us

Become a patron