Illinois matchup

Mar 26, 2024
This is what I'm a little concerned about; Underwood could have those guys playing decent defense for one game. Similar to Wazzu, their length/athleticism alone will give us some problems.
It is a weird one. early season the defense was decent and BU usually prides himself on that side of the ball. It is almost as if they don't care too much on D because they will just outscore you sort of mindset. More recently, they have gone stretches with much improved D.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
so i am pretty connected and those there do not feel that way. armchair emotional types are unfortunate
Those are national guys actually, so your fans are off the hook on that one. Sure, their podcasts and fans site content has been pretty confident and one-sided, but that's to be expected from fans, and I don’t really have a problem with it.

it's "neutral" America 100% on board and not pushing back at all that is really getting out of hand.

Reactions: GlenviewIllini

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
We're 5-6 in games in which we allowed our opponents to score 70 points. The lone loss in which we didn't allow 70 points was @ Kansas State. We also haven't allowed 70 points since February 19 @ Houston.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
You have to get the Duke/Houston stuff, the SEC was horrible and one of their super average teams to Houston to OT and should have won if they just kept doing what they were doing. Plus stupid Duke love in the media. That game is a toss up to me
Houston had to back off on defense with all their foul trouble and ATM made a lot of three pointers. It really never should have gotten to overtime. If the game is called uber tight again I could see it being close.

Mar 26, 2024
Domask and Shannon went 1-11 3pt and 7-27 total against Tennessee’s starting guards that are 5’9 & 6’3.
actually after that game they changed the offense etc. but yes, they missed a LOT of open shots in that game. I stopped watching a few minutes into the second half and was surprised they lost.

• Haha
Reactions: Lineup
Mar 26, 2024
But has he done it against a national defensive player of the year finalist - inarguably one of the two best defensive guards in the country (Jamal Shead has him edged out) - who is 4th nationally in steals, second in Defensive Win Shares and 1st in Defensive Box +/-?

That's the challenge. Domask has never faced anyone like Tamin. The closest would be Ace Baldwin at Penn State - and that didn't go well for Illinois.
This is great. Domask will really have to be smart here in passing out well. Fascinating matchup!

Reactions: RezClone
Mar 26, 2024
Those are national guys actually, so your fans are off the hook on that one. Sure, their podcasts and fans site content has been pretty confident and one-sided, but that's to be expected from fans, and I don’t really have a problem with it.

it's "neutral" America 100% on board and not pushing back at all that is really getting out of hand.
gotcha. heck of a game. I think ISU wins because Illinois has not punched above their weight all year but they are playing much better of late so I assume it will be close.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
so i am pretty connected and those there do not feel that way. armchair emotional types are unfortunate
I have Aunt Uncle and two cousins from Mahomet, IL. They are Season ticket holders. Also have another cousin from Peoria that graduated from Illinois I talk to fairly regularly, especially when ISU and Illinois cross paths somehow.

So I am also very familiar with your run of the mill U of I fan, so to speak.

Reactions: GlenviewIllini
Mar 26, 2024
I have Aunt Uncle and two cousins from Mahomet, IL. They are Season ticket holders. Also have another cousin from Peoria that graduated from Illinois I talk to fairly regularly, especially when ISU and Illinois cross paths somehow.

So I am also very familiar with your run of the mill U of I fan, so to speak.
Very cool. My mom, uncle, brother, nieces...all grads. Grandpa pitched for them etc. We have been die hard forever. Excited for this game. Will be fascinating to watch man.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We're 5-6 in games in which we allowed our opponents to score 70 points. The lone loss in which we didn't allow 70 points was @ Kansas State. We also haven't allowed 70 points since February 19 @ Houston.

I'm almost at mulligan/wash kind of levels with two of those losses vs. ATM and Va Tech.

I'd still hate ATM as a match up but ISU simply wasn't very good that tournament on either end and still gave themselves a chance in both.

I think IL gets to 70; it's a matter of if they have to grind it out to get there and ISU can maintain some things on their own end.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

spinback32

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 24, 2006
Cedar Rapids
It is a weird one. early season the defense was decent and BU usually prides himself on that side of the ball. It is almost as if they don't care too much on D because they will just outscore you sort of mindset. More recently, they have gone stretches with much improved D.

Since March 1st - Illinois is still only 102 in ADJ D on Torvik

Mar 26, 2024
Since March 1st - Illinois is still only 102 in ADJ D on Torvik
yes. it was not until like the last 1-2 weeks and ONLY for periods of time when they felt they had to. I am not saying they are any good at D, just giving some more recent context. It is a weird one for a BU team for sure.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I remember the transfer thread really wanting both Domask and the guy that went to Tennessee and tore it up, but I didn't remember that he'd visited.

I like the guys we got, personally
Maybe he didn't, but I believe he was a target. Think he chose Illinois as he is from there and played out his regular eligibility at Southern Illinois in Carbondale. Quite likely it didn't come down to $ so much as wanting to play for, in theory, the team he grew up always watching/wanting to play for in the Illini.

Reactions: bawbie

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Maybe he didn't, but I believe he was a target. Think he chose Illinois as he is from there and played out his regular eligibility at Southern Illinois in Carbondale. Quite likely it didn't come down to $ so much as wanting to play for, in theory, the team he grew up always watching/wanting to play for in the Illini.

He's from WI.

Another miss by Gard.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Very cool. My mom, uncle, brother, nieces...all grads. Grandpa pitched for them etc. We have been die hard forever. Excited for this game. Will be fascinating to watch man.
Yes, today is just crawling by. Gonna be a LONG 34 hours. Us basketball schools have to stick together IMO

Some of our fans might push back recently on that characterization, but it's essentially true. Basketball will always be number one with most of us here, and we take this shhh very seriously, as I'm sure you can tell. I'd imagine you feel the same way.

Mar 26, 2024
Yes, on the same Pardon my Take podcast, Villanova with Brunson was also referenced with regard to what booty ball is.
so after Ten game Underwood and Wright became buds and got into it and so Illinois changed their O to some degree with the guidance of Jay Wright. Then TSJ was suspended and now the offense is firing on all cylinders more recently. The D has upticked "in spurts".... Will be a great game to watch that I think ISU pulls off. If so, I REALLY want them to beat UCONN.