Hunter Dekkers Concerns?

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I know fall camp has just started, but would love to know what some of y’all have been hearing in terms of players to watch for, potential breakout players, younger guys who may step up for this years squad (i.e. not public knowledge like Noel, Freyler, Purchase and Verdon lol) etc… Given the nature of this team and how open some positions are, there is tons to talk about! So let’s do it.

Here are some younger guys who aren't getting talked about that I am interested in for this season:

Offense -
WR Daniel Jackson
WR Greg Gaines
WR Jason Essex
RB Cartevious Norton

Defnse -
DL Domonique Orange
DL Ikenna Ezeogu
DB Trevon Howard

Would love to hear any thoughts y'all have or if you have heard anything about these guys or others in the program!
Studs. Every one of them.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Fully disagree. Posting a well thought out paragraph posing a question with potential info and data about Cyclone football on threads relating to cyclone football and the future of cyclone football is not “bot/troll” kind of stuff. Cmon now.
It might be like a clean room / messy room analogy. A clean room is better. Mine is not necessarily.

In the future, best to find one thread (two at the most if the one is ambiguous), to put your post in. This way the responses are all in one place also!

Yours was sort of stand alone, and could have warranted starting a new thread. Have you ever done that yet?

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I heard from some football buddies that Purdy’s cadence was weird and caused a ton of false starts. That’s not me saying every false start was Brock’s fault, I just was told there were a lot of times he was at fault and us fans would have no idea.

That's a little weird that it didn't get corrected.

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
Yup! I posted it in a couple other cyclone football related threads. Didn't know it was a crime to post a common, intriguing, football-minded question about cyclone football on the... wait for it... Cyclone Fanatic Football forums. I should be ashamed of myself! :(
No worries, I am anxious to see all these guys on the field. As far as specific players, I can see Cartevious Norton carving out a nice roll in the offense. I suspect that CMC still wants to run the ball at 20-25 times a game and am not sure he has a bell cow like in years past to absorb that many carries. Plus, I have heard the Norton is a bruiser.

DL is a position that is more difficult to find significant playing time early in one’s college career because the position is so physically demanding.

As far a WR, I could see Gaines getting good playing time, essentially taking over the roll that Jaylin Noel had last year as a freshman.

Reactions: t-noah

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I'm just finishing watching the UNLV game from last year. Bottom line: I sure hope Dekkers performs better, MUCH better, than that game.

• Creative
Reactions: Aclone

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Yeah, it wasn’t a pick. It was two 3-and-outs to start the 4th.
Don't remember, but I'm sure it was extremely conservative play calling at first when they put Hunter in. I remember his passing looking really good when they opened it up. I believe we got within 10 with ample time left so the game wasn't over yet at that time.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
We have a month to see if he has it or not. Not concerned one bit as of today.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That's a little weird that it didn't get corrected.
I’m not 100% sure what it was. Probably should’ve asked but I took it was an in game thing that only happened sometimes.

When I talk with one of them I can have them explain, bc you’re right it’s weird it was something that wasn’t corrected.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I'm just finishing watching the UNLV game from last year. Bottom line: I sure hope Dekkers performs better, MUCH better, than that game.
That's one game last season that I was unable to find / watch. Where did you watch it? Not that I really want to see it now, ha.

I couldn't even find it on cyclonetv.com, then or just now. Weird.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
That's one game last season that I was unable to find / watch. Where did you watch it? Not that I really want to see it now, ha.

I couldn't even find it on cyclonetv.com, then or just now. Weird.
Was that the one preceded by a 8OT game that just wouldn't end?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Was that the one preceded by a 8OT game that just wouldn't end?
No idea! Haha. Maybe that's why it never came on. I don't know. But you would still think cyclone.tv would have the rights to it a week later, and by now almost a year later?

I remember a post with @cyrocksmypants, shortly after the game. He was trying to find the UNLV game also (I think, I could be wrong). I don't think he ever found it either.

Yeah, that was just a weird 'blank' week in the season.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
No idea! Haha. Maybe that's why it never came on. I don't know. But you would still think cyclone.tv would have the rights to it a week later, and by now almost a year later?

I remember a post with @cyrocksmypants, shortly after the game. He was trying to find the UNLV game also (I think, I could be wrong). I don't think he ever found it either.

Yeah, that was just a weird 'blank' week in the season.

I was watching it on youtube earlier tonight.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I was watching it on youtube earlier tonight.
Bingo! Got it. Thank you mg30!

I wonder why I wasn't able to find it last year? I'm pretty sure I tried YouTube last year, a week, even 2 weeks after the game, and no joy.

Oh well. Not sure I want to watch in now, but I just might!!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Bingo! Got it. Thank you mg30!

I wonder why I wasn't able to find it last year? I'm pretty sure I tried YouTube last year, a week, even 2 weeks after the game, and no joy.

Oh well. Not sure I want to watch in now, but I just might!!

Someone made note of how bad Dekkers was when he got in. They weren't wrong but nothing in that game told us anything.

BigM

Mar 2, 2007
Amesterdam
This is very true. The rule needs to be tweaked so if a defense is slowly subbing late in the play clock the referee resets the play clock.

Gundy is a master at making offenses pay for any substitutions that don't happen immediately after the previous play.
Any defensive player dawdling to get off the field should be hit with unsportsmanlike conduct

MisterO

Proverbs 19:11
Dec 6, 2020
We won’t know until game time…and even then, there’s other questions: how will he respond when our offense struggles, how will he play if he’s banged up a bit, how will he handle a broken play- will he force something (like Brock tended to do) or will he take a sack. He’s our guy and we’ll just have to find out.
I don’t think we’ll know who HD is going to be until the 4th or 5th game.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron