Home security camera systems

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
We had wired Nest cams previously. Sure, it was a pain that they were wired, but I liked that they were on 24/7. We switched to a wireless system after we took them down to get our house painted and I miss them.

We now have Blink and as others have said, they are just ok. Sometimes when they trigger, whatever triggered them is already gone.

dcypal

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Unifi has a great system built in with the network setup. You would have to have or purchase their network equipment but its pretty impressive. I helped a neighbor bust a highschool student that was driving down the street shooting bee bees from his truck. Also all data store is stored locally, nothing sent to a corporate data center. I had the Unifi network equipment before I added cameras.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Does anyone have an interior system to spy on their dog?

We haven’t been able to take the leap of faith to leave him alone outside his crate and he is two already.

Would eventually like to give him free roam of the house like we have done with previous dogs but he has destroyed more stuff than previous dogs.

Could probably confine him to large open area on first floor but would like to see what he does while nearby maybe working outside or something so we can go in if he starts gnawing on the woodwork again. Guessing we would need 2-3 cameras to cover the area.
Blink cameras are cheap and easy (not cheap and high quality) and they have an indoor model.
The only thing I don't like about them is there's no way to add multiple users other than give others your username/password. So, if there's two systems you want to monitor like, say a lake house and your home but you want others to be able to monitor the lake house but not your home, the only way to do that is have two accounts and logout/login to each one or give everyone access to both.

Reactions: carvers4math

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
When my water heater was going out I bought a super cheap camera for our basement that would detect any movement, in case I had a water leak. I've since learned that Wyze has been known to spy on you but they won't see much on mine.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I have 4 Arlo wireless cameras. Mixed reviews from me. Initially it worked great.

- They added a subscription plan which luckily I had a previous generation of cameras so I still got my 30 days of storage locally.
- I added one new camera and it's been a lemon. Battery last less than 24 hrs if the temp is below 40 degrees. All 4 of my other cameras last multiple weeks. (no difference in activity or usage).

I like having access to my cameras on my phone and that they are wireless. I don't have anything set up inside my house (other than garage).

Reactions: aauummm