Hiring through Career Services or...?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Hey there --

I was looking into finding some CVs from graduating Cyclones.

Having never done this before, I wondered the best way to do this.

We are going through a hiring cycle right now that somebody put me in charge of for some reason, and I was looking for entry-level applicants coming out of undergraduate or master's programs with interest and/or background in economics, statistics, mathematics, data analytics, system dynamics, or electrical engineering who might want to move to the East Coast.

Does anybody have any experience or recommendations for doing this?

I figured to make an account here as a starting point...

https://cyhire.iastate.edu/employers/?signin_tab=0

...but I would welcome any other recommendations for places to start.

Thanks, @Sigmapolis

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Hey there --

I was looking into finding some CVs from graduating Cyclones.

Having never done this before, I wondered the best way to do this.

We are going through a hiring cycle right now that somebody put me in charge of for some reason, and I was looking for entry-level applicants coming out of undergraduate or master's programs with interest and/or background in economics, statistics, mathematics, data analytics, system dynamics, or electrical engineering who might want to move to the East Coast.

Does anybody have any experience or recommendations for doing this?

I figured to make an account here as a starting point...

https://cyhire.iastate.edu/employers/?signin_tab=0

...but I would welcome any other recommendations for places to start.

Thanks, @Sigmapolis

I’d contact the college of business and college of liberal arts career services.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Okay. Don't help a fellow alum or, implicitly, some students (who might want a job) out.

Seriously....you have access to google I assume. Google it. I don't know it offhand.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Kathy weiland would be your contact for college of business. At least she used to be. Sure you can look her up in the directory. Other than that maybe do one of the many career fairs on campus.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Okay. Don't help a fellow alum or, implicitly, some students (who might want a job) out.

Bit dramatic. As someone who's been hiring through ISU for years it's about as simple and user friendly as it gets. It takes 5 - 10 minutes to setup an account and to look up the correct people in career services to speak with in the directory. If you want to make life real easy going forward, get to know the professors in the college you're recruiting.

On a side note, I've found while recruiting through most of the major universities in the general Midwest, ISU has about the best and most responsive career services department to work with in the region. You don't realize how nice it is to work with them until you step out and try to work with a school like Illinois for instance, which is simply not worth the headache.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Bit dramatic. As someone who's been hiring through ISU for years it's about as simple and user friendly as it gets. It takes 5 - 10 minutes to setup an account and to look up the correct people in career services to speak with in the directory. If you want to make life real easy going forward, get to know the professors in the college you're recruiting.

On a side note, I've found while recruiting through most of the major universities in the general Midwest, ISU has about the best and most responsive career services department to work with in the region. You don't realize how nice it is to work with them until you step out and try to work with a school like Illinois for instance, which is simply not worth the headache.

It was overly-dramatic in response to an overly-snarky post.

I am not trying to make people do my work for me -- not like I am getting paid any extra for doing this when much of my salary is commission-based, or implicitly the same through discretionary bonuses and profit-sharing -- I just wondered if anybody had some tips and tricks for looking for graduating Cyclones to hire besides just the main CyHire link. I have not done this before, and some on here might have, so I thought I would inquire.

People have always been helpful on here in the past when I have asked about tickets, parking, tailgating, travel, and hotels for games, so I thought I would ask. I could just Google all of that, but sometimes a little help from those with experience goes much further.

Oops.

Anyways, thank you for your post. Very helpful. I am glad to hear that Iowa State is easier to deal with even beyond my connection and affinity for the school. I registered for CyHire and am waiting to hear back from them about next steps.

Thank you everybody. @ArgentCy, PM me your CV. :)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron