help with wildblue internet

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
My in-laws live out in the country and are on dialup, but have been looking at the wildblue satellite. Does anyone have this, and do they like it?

Thanks

isugcs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2007
Waverly
I was checking into it when I was getting my Directv. All I really know is that it's expensive. I wanna say something like $70 to $90 per month.

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
I don't have access to even dial-up since there is no telephone service where I live. I use the Starband satellite system and am happy with it. There are a number of modem options and the faster the speed the more expensive the cost.

hidave

Aug 24, 2007
Dial-up is too slow for my wife's accounting business and telecommuting needs, so we have the highest speed WildBlue offers: 1.5 Mbps download (max) at $80/mo. There is no other Internet access option or I would jump on it. WildBlue severely limits access during busy times; for example, we have virtually zero Internet access from noon to 7 pm every day. If you can live with that, then go for it. BTW there is a $400 or so initial connection charge.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Not that I have experience with it, but if I already had DirecTV and no other options I'd probably go with HughesNet, DirecTV's internet counterpart. From what they advertise anyway it's supposed to be very fast and reliable.

awasux

Oct 3, 2006
We have had it for about 9 months and are very pleased. We went with the second fastest option and, while it's not quite as fast as dsl, it is still very good. Wild Blue is a very fast-growing company and I would recommend it over Hughes because of a lot of negative feedback I received from people who USED to be with Hughes (unreliable service, viruses, etc).