Heading into March Madness

Mar 21, 2021
Pretty crazy that a frosh leads us in minutes played. Hope he goes off from here on out....

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Said in some other thread that I think after a reset they may find a way to get to somewhere between that peak and where they are now.

Hopefully it balances out to win some games.
Yep. We don’t need to become world beaters on offense with the defense we have. But if we can get back to even 10% better this is a dangerous team.

Reactions: madguy30

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
We go as far as Milan Momcilovic's shot takes us. It's no secret that as he's struggled in the back half of Big 12 play, the more the entire offense has overall. He's the key to a deep run, and if I'm hoping for anything out of the Big 12 tournament, it's for him to get his confidence back and be a factor in the flow of the offense, win or lose in KC. You hat to have to lean on a young player in that way, but no one else on this squad has the ability to make a shot from anywhere on the floor like he does.

Last edited:
Reactions: jctisu and madguy30

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
We go as far as Milan Momcilovic's shot takes us. It's no secret that as he's struggled in the back half of Big 12 play, the more the entire offense has overall. He's the key to a deep run, and if I'm hoping for anything out of the Big 12 tournament, it's for him to get his confidence back and be a factor in the flow of the offense, win or lose in KC. You hat to have to lean on a young player in that way, but no one else on this squad has the ability to make a shot from anywhere on the floor like he does.
I’d suggest that C Jones has been the most consistent scorer in conference games and has grown while Milan has regressed which is not surprising for a true freshman.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I’d suggest that C Jones has been the most consistent scorer in conference games and has grown while Milan has regressed which is not surprising for a true freshman.
I agree. The freshman wall is real. But MM's ability to score anywhere on the court against forwards makes him a matchup problem that reaps benefits for KG and Lipsey driving to the hoop when he is hitting his shots. But Curtis Jones has gotten this team where it is by his play in the past month for sure.

• Agree
Reactions: 67CY

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
What do people think our chances are of getting Omaha as a three seed versus a two seed?

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Looked at some stats. Keyshon in conference play:
First 3 games - avg 7 ppg; 0-5 from 3; ISU avg 62 ppg
Next 10 games - avg 16.5 ppg, 19-44 from 3 (43%); ISU avg 72 ppg
Last 5 games - 9.5 ppg; 2-11 from 3 (18%); ISU avg 63 ppg

I didn't dive too deep into all the stats, probably should have looked at turnovers too. But this is the one that stuck out for me as most correlated with the ups and downs of the offense. Lipsey's scoring looks like a RNG, and CuJo has been super consistent in the teens. Chill's numbers do look a bit like KG, he's had a rough end of season.

Whether KG is hurt/tired idk. Maybe he is getting keyed on defensively more. If that's so, then SOMEONE needs to step up. To me, that's Chill or Lipsey.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
What do people think our chances are of getting Omaha as a three seed versus a two seed?
2 vs 3 doesn't really matter. It's all about who's above ISU and if Omaha fills up.
Seems like the biggest factor is if Creighton finishes above Marquette, because then Creighton gets Indy and Marquette would get Omaha

Reactions: twincyties

VAISUFAN

Mar 13, 2012
I predict Final Four if we can do these 5 things to help our offense:
1. Hit our Free throws
2. Cut back on careless turnovers
3. Rob catches every pass and rebound that hits his hands
4. King kicks the ball out every now and then
5. KG doesn't throw up any wild shots

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
I agree with swiacy that CJones has also demonstrated shot-making ability. Gilbert, Lipsey, and King have as well, just less consistently. If even 2 of these 5 (counting Milan) are on, a good March Madness run is possible. If 3 or more, obviously even better.

Kettes

Sep 18, 2022
I predict Final Four if we can do these 5 things to help our offense:
1. Hit our Free throws
2. Cut back on careless turnovers
3. Rob catches every pass and rebound that hits his hands
4. King kicks the ball out every now and then
5. KG doesn't throw up any wild shots
No way #5 happens. He doesn't seem to see a shot that doesn't look good.

• Creative
Reactions: NENick

clone37

Oct 9, 2010
This team needs an offensive explosion in KC more than it needs rest..

You're asking for a first round loss if you think this team needs rest.
Exactly. If they look like crap on offense again and lose tomorrow night, they will have no confidence at all going into next week and we will probably have Pitt version 2.0. If they show some flow and confidence tomorrow night and still lose due to TX or KSU playing out of their minds, that would probably be ok. I still think they definitely need a win for confidence and also seeding/Omaha.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
We need Milan to start knocking down shots again and become more aggressive. If Milan isn't doing much then the defense isn't going to be worried about giving us the perimeter so they'll be able to stop us every time we drive the lane with no mission. It sucks that Milan has gotten cold at the wrong time, but hopefully he can come out of this slump and be a hero for us again. When we draw up plays to get him to shoot it's genius when he's not in a shooting funk. Maybe this team is just banged up and needed a little time to rest. Let's see how the guys react tomorrow.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Exactly. If they look like crap on offense again and lose tomorrow night, they will have no confidence at all going into next week and we will probably have Pitt version 2.0. If they show some flow and confidence tomorrow night and still lose due to TX or KSU playing out of their minds, that would probably be ok. I still think they definitely need a win for confidence and also seeding/Omaha.
Dude, don't remind me of that Pitt game ever again. That was one of the most embarrassing performances I've ever seen from ISU. We couldn't make sh*t.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
KSU was the second worst performance this year. After each lost we have bounced back to a good performance metric wise.