Garage floor sealer

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
I added an enclosed wing to a building for vehicle storage. Any comments regarding a surface treatment on the cement floor? TIA.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I don't know anything about the sealers themselves but knowing a guy who used to apply them, all I can say is prep, prep, prep and then prep some more.

• Winner
Reactions: cyputz

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
I added an enclosed wing to a building for vehicle storage. Any comments regarding a surface treatment on the cement floor? TIA.
I have done everything from garage floors to warehouse applications. They all look great and wear well.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
I'm 10 years in to my sealent I put on my garage floor. It doesn't look new now by any means but it's held up well.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I bought a house and the garage has the epoxy floor with the speckles sprinkled on it, and it is awesome. Not slippery, doesn't sweat in spring, very stain resistant.

Had a friend get bids on doing same, and advice is "get multiple bids". First guy was like 4k, later bid was more like 1k range. You can DIY of course, but your results may vary I suppose.

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
I don't know anything about the sealers themselves but knowing a guy who used to apply them, all I can say is prep, prep, prep and then prep some more.
This. When you think it's clean, it's not. Floors have a high failure rate with coatings. Do a moisture test first to make sure there is no moisture coming up through the concrete. Take a 2' x 2' piece of plastic and duct tape it on all sides to the floor and leave it overnight to make sure there is no condensation that accumulates under it. Moisture is one of the #1 causes of failure.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
The room will be used to store some classic vehicles I have restored. 16'X35' with 12' overhead door and entry door. No windows and sealed walls to roof, goal to be mouse proof. I'm too old and beat up to DIY so will try to find an individual or company to do the project. I'm 100 miles from DM, Omaha & St. Joe so it's a challenge to find any contractors for any job let alone get bids. Any contacts for SW Ia or NW Mo. out there?

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
The room will be used to store some classic vehicles I have restored. 16'X35' with 12' overhead door and entry door. No windows and sealed walls to roof, goal to be mouse proof. I'm too old and beat up to DIY so will try to find an individual or company to do the project. I'm 100 miles from DM, Omaha & St. Joe so it's a challenge to find any contractors for any job let alone get bids. Any contacts for SW Ia or NW Mo. out there?
Sounds like you need to move...;)

• Haha
Reactions: 2020cy

FLYINGCYCLONE

Aug 27, 2022
LuVerne Iowa
Where I used to work, we had a new surface applied to 10 year old concrete. We had the surface ground off to apply the product to a new surface. This still did not work the best. This was in an industrial setting, not your normal garage.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

Have a reputable company do it with a warranty. I’ll do almost any type of handyman work for anyone but will not touch a garage floor (been asked multiple times). If you don’t get everything right on the prep, it absolutely will peel. Make sure you get enough flake down that it it doesn’t get as slick when it’s wet.

Also, make sure you have a couple months on the new concrete. No matter how new it is, it will need cleaned and etched.

If youre not dead set on epoxy or paint, just seal it. You’ll have way better luck.

Reactions: exCYtable

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Also since preparation is the biggest key and hot tires act like suction cups on paint regardless, I wouldn't break the bank on super expensive coatings. I've actually had decent luck with the latex epoxy/flake kits at Lowe's. May have to repaint where the tires sit every few years, but holds up great everywhere else.

Reactions: CRcyclone6

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron