Friday OT #3 - Essential Artists

Sighclone Fan

Jan 19, 2008
The Current, a MN radio station, just wrapped up their top 893 essential artist countdown, voted on by listeners (radio station is 89.3). Below is a link to the list. Do you agree?

It's heavily skewed to the likes of Minnesota, as seen with Prince at #2. But it's always interesting looking at these lists as well as Rolling Stone's top 100. They both have the Beatles at #1 (which is the correct answer).

http://www.thecurrent.org/countdown/893-essential-artists

Last edited:

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I had to look. Jerry Lee Lewis is 893rd.

Also, with Prince number 2 and Dylan number 3, I'm kind of surprised they didn't have Soul Asylum in the top 10 and The Jets in the top 100.

• Funny
Reactions: Angie

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Led Zep and the Floyd are w-a-a-a-a-y up there for me. Two bands who went where nobody had ever gone before. I can listen to John Bonham drumming all night long - the guy was simply a genius. (Although Neal Peart of Rush is right there with him.)

• Agree

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I'd reorder things a bit, but that top 10 is pretty legit. Mine would look more like this, if I used the exact same artists:

1. Rolling Stones
2. David Bowie
3. Prince
4. Beatles
5. Radiohead
6. Johnny Cash
7. Led Zep
8. Bob Dylan
9. Nirvana
10. Pink Floyd

Reactions: SCyclone

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Any list has to start with The Beatles and Elvis. They're in a tier of their own.

The next tier would be the Stones, Floyd, and Zep.

Then there's a noticeable drop off to the next tier of great artists but still not in the league of the top 5.

And I hate that The Who never get any love for being as great as they were.

• Agree

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I don't know what is considered to be "essential" in this list, but I am getting the impression this is more about being "influential."

In no particular order:

Beatles
Black Sabbath
Led Zep
Nirvana
Rush
Queen
Prince
Van Halen (early years)
AC/DC

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
So they're ranking the artist and not necessarily the song? Each artist listed has a song attached, threw me a bit. Whoever was in charge of that clearly took the lazy way out on many of these and just picked the most commercially recognizable song which too often is labeled as the 'best' song, like "How Soon is Now?" for The Smiths, "It's the End of the World" for REM, "I Will Dare" for The Replacements. Weak.

Sighclone Fan

Jan 19, 2008
So they're ranking the artist and not necessarily the song? Each artist listed has a song attached, threw me a bit. Whoever was in charge of that clearly took the lazy way out on many of these and just picked the most commercially recognizable song which too often is labeled as the 'best' song, like "How Soon is Now?" for The Smiths, "It's the End of the World" for REM, "I Will Dare" for The Replacements. Weak.

The song next to the band is what the radio station played when they did the countdown. Took about a week to get through the list.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
893? Do they really think that someone is going to listen to 893 songs? It sounds like a DJ who pre-recorded programs so that he could take a few days off.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron