Friday OT #2 - But WHY?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Thanks to @GTO for this idea! The other thread idea we thought of was "I don't get it." What are some things/fads/media that are super-popular, and you just don't understand it? For example - I never "got" planking, Big Bang Theory, or the band Twenty-One Pilots. They all just annoy me, and I don't get the appeal.

What are some of yours?

Reactions: SCyclone and GTO

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Oh boy, I could write a PhD dissertation on this. I'll boil it down to a handful, in no particular order:

1 - The "slightly turned baseball cap" fad from a few years ago.
2 - Current women's (girls?) fashion trend of the high-waisted shorts that are pulled as far up their *** as possible. This doesn't look comfortable nor is it doing anything to make your back side look smaller.
3 - Fidget spinners...don't get me started
4 - Any sort of pop music.
5 - This is the biggest of them all: when people use "adult" as a verb. "Paid my rent, washed the dishes, did the laundry, and bought groceries today...adulting is so hard." or "I can't adult today." You're a freaking adult, you don't get extra credit for doing things that every other person has to do. That's called life and responsibility, and you shouldn't be surprised by it.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Beards. I don't get why guys grow them.

1) I used to work at a place where facial hair was not permitted. I got shifted to a major project and wasn't required to comply with the plant facial hair policy, so I grew it out because I could.

2) Also, I never really was able to grow facial hair until I was like 30, which coincided with the work move.

3) Wife (gf at the time) didn't like it, so I kept it to annoy her (did shave for the wedding though).

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
Oh boy, I could write a PhD dissertation on this. I'll boil it down to a handful, in no particular order:

2 - Current women's (girls?) fashion trend of the high-waisted shorts that are pulled as far up their *** as possible. This doesn't look comfortable nor is it doing anything to make your back side look smaller.
5 - This is the biggest of them all: when people use "adult" as a verb. "Paid my rent, washed the dishes, did the laundry, and bought groceries today...adulting is so hard." or "I can't adult today." You're a freaking adult, you don't get extra credit for doing things that every other person has to do. That's called life and responsibility, and you shouldn't be surprised by it.
I think they're going for the opposite...

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor

To summarize items 1-5, "I'm old".

But I agree with almost all of them.

Reactions: jcyclonee

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
To summarize items 1-5, "I'm old".

But I agree with almost all of them.

I'm thinking most of this thread will be people griping about current trends, isn't that the point? That being said, I'm a millennial *gasp*. I just happen to think there are a lot of dumb trends out there, but I fully recognize I went a long with many of them when I was in high school/college as well.

Reactions: carvers4math

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Guys who can't pull their effing pants up. Walked by a guy in Seattle one time and his pants fell right down to his ankles. Really??

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Soccer and Bon Iver

idgi.gif

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
1. Weddings where the groomsmen wear vests but no jackets.
2. Outrageously expensive weddings. (Followed by whining that we just can't afford a house because all those damn Baby Boomers just won't die so we can buy their house cheap)
3. Most social media.
4. Tattoos. I don't think I would want to commit to something forever. Plus pain.
5. Hipster hair.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
the high-waisted shorts + crop top thing.
Sheer tops.
Cutouts everywhere. Why the **** would I want a sweater with two giant holes over my shoulders??????

many other things that I'll probably come back to ***** about.

How could I forget that one? Somehow it makes even small women look like they have linebacker shoulders too. Just dumb.

Reactions: Angie

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
People who back into parking spaces rather than pull in them. Overall it's quicker and easier to back into an aisle over a small parking space, thus will save time and effort if done "normal." Bonus points for the people who back into spaces when they could have driven a few extra spots and just drive into a spot through to the next one, allowing them to drive out into an aisle and completely avoid backing up when parking and leaving. Sorry for the rant, however waiting for someone to back into a parking space is a huge pet peeve of mine.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Big Bang Theory - terrible show
Fidget spinners
World Series of Poker
Fantasy sports
Hoverboards
Kanye West

I'm sure I'll think of a few more.

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Thanks to @GTO for this idea! The other thread idea we thought of was "I don't get it." What are some things/fads/media that are super-popular, and you just don't understand it? For example - I never "got" planking, Big Bang Theory, or the band Twenty-One Pilots. They all just annoy me, and I don't get the appeal.

What are some of yours?

I have a 14yr old who is a big fan. She got me listening to their non-radio songs, don't totally hate them. But hubby is more like you. When he really want to get to her he will call them Twenty-Two Navigators.

Right now not digging any 90's fashion trends that are making the rounds. Lived through it once, no need to repeat. And SnapChat "streaks" that kids think they need to keep. I do use SC quite a bit, but not keeping any streaks. And if you do not have a teen who uses the app, you probably have no clue what I am talking about. . . .

• Funny