Friday OT #1 - Never Gonna Get It

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Thanks so much, @MeanDean , for this two-fer!

The premise is music you don't own/know. Here's MeanDean's explanation:

I was talking to someone today about albums that you have always been a bit intrigued by or thought "I should get that - seems like I might like it" or "It's considered a classic and I'm not that familiar with it and probably should check it out."

I guess flip side of that coin might be, "Albums you heard were good and so you got, but then you didn't like it."

As an example - I spent most of my life assuming I'd hate real punk (not, like, pop punk like Green Day or whatever), so I never bought it. I waded in with MC5, then New York Dolls, and progressed to harder from there.

What are yours?

Reactions: cyclones500

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Thread title misleading, I I thought this thread title was about the sex lives of long term married guys. ;)

JK, Please don't ban me Angie.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Thread title misleading, I I thought this thread title was about the sex lives of long term married guys. ;)

I can't add insult to injury by banning. ;)

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Thanks so much, @MeanDean , for this two-fer!

The premise is music you don't own/know. Here's MeanDean's explanation:

I was talking to someone today about albums that you have always been a bit intrigued by or thought "I should get that - seems like I might like it" or "It's considered a classic and I'm not that familiar with it and probably should check it out."

I guess flip side of that coin might be, "Albums you heard were good and so you got, but then you didn't like it."

As an example - I spent most of my life assuming I'd hate real punk (not, like, pop punk like Green Day or whatever), so I never bought it. I waded in with MC5, then New York Dolls, and progressed to harder from there.

What are yours?

I can think of a few off the top:

1. Pavement - I'm a big Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks fan. Don't own all of them but have listened to all the albums. But I've never listened to one Pavement record. Haven't gotten around to it...

2. Dinosaur Jr. - I'm a Witch fan, which was sort of a side project for Jay Mascis and they made a couple records. But again, never heard one Dinosuar Jr. record.

3. Yo La Tengo - as much as my friends loved these guys back in the day I presume I would too. But I don't know because I haven't tried.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Since it was my topic idea I figured I'd say what I said in the inspirational convo that lead to me suggesting this to Angie.

Neil Young - Harvest. I love all the CSNY stuff to include Neil Young stuff. I've heard several tracks from the LP but never owned the record or even listened to it all the way through such as on YouTube.

Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells a Story. I like what I've heard from it but never sought it out. I think it was a bit before me being financially able to buy many LPs and by the time I reached that stage in life he was doing stuff like "Hot Legs" and "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy" so I was not interested.

Disappointing - Pink Floyd-Piper At The Gates of Dawn. A co-worker loved this album and when it finally came out on CD he made me a copy. I listened to parts of it once. Then one time on a drive from FL back to IA I forced myself to listen to it all the way through and basically hated every second of it.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Disappointing - Pink Floyd-Piper At The Gates of Dawn. A co-worker loved this album and when it finally came out on CD he made me a copy. I listened to parts of it once. Then one time on a drive from FL back to IA I forced myself to listen to it all the way through and basically hated every second of it.

Yeah, this is the only full album that Syd Barrett was responsible for all the writing and creative direction. The PF records after this are literally a different band.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
There are 2 albums that I've tried several times to get into that are classics that I just can't seem to connect with.
Ironically, both are from 1969.

1. Trout Mask Replica - Captain Beefheart
2. ******* Brew - Miles Davis

I've listened to both at different stages of my life, and will likely continue to intermittently.

Reactions: Angie and 20eyes

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

tenor.gif

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
A similar topic would be, "Songs that my teenage daughter told me to listen too because they are great, that are actually even worse than I could possibly image."

The answer is "all of them except Blinding Lights". That song is awesome.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
For Part A of the topic, dozens of albums I could list ... I'll post a few when I can.

Part B, random example: "Astral Weeks" by Van Morrison

I don't dislike it but I much much prefer Moon Dance. But overall I'm a HUGE fan of Van's music.

Love's Forever Changes falls into this same category for me. I really loved their first album and the second is very transitional (read: kinda weird). But everybody raves about their 3rd album, Forever Changes. I think it's got it's moments but not in the same class as other 60's legendary pop albums to which it is compared - like Pet Sounds, Odessey and Oracle, or even Dusty in Memphis.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Sampler of albums/artists I feel compelled to explore in-depth, either because of common acclaim or personal curiosity (or both), buy haven’t. I’ve heard tracks from a majority of these, but haven’t indulged repeated, beginning-to-end listens.

The Byrds, “Sweetheart of the Rodeo”
Funkadelic, “Maggot Brain”
Kraftwerk, “Trans-Europe Express”
Outkast, “Stankonia”
Liz Phair, “Exile in Guyville”
Bob Dylan, “Time Out of Mind”
Dusty Springfield, “Dusty in Memphis” (referenced above by @MeanDean)
Dr. Dre, “The Chronic”
Various post-1980s Neil Young
Lana Del Ray
Roxy Music

Reactions: Angie

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I can think of a few off the top:

1. Pavement - I'm a big Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks fan. Don't own all of them but have listened to all the albums. But I've never listened to one Pavement record. Haven't gotten around to it...

2. Dinosaur Jr. - I'm a Witch fan, which was sort of a side project for Jay Mascis and they made a couple records. But again, never heard one Dinosuar Jr. record.

3. Yo La Tengo - as much as my friends loved these guys back in the day I presume I would too. But I don't know because I haven't tried.
Yo la Tengo is good situationally

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Yeah, this is the only full album that Syd Barrett was responsible for all the writing and creative direction. The PF records after this are literally a different band.
And syd was a looney toon and it shows

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'd like to get into Tribe Called Quest, early Tupac, Beastie Boyz and Lauren Hill.

Not that I wasn't into it...just didn't happen.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I'd like to get into Tribe Called Quest, early Tupac, Beastie Boyz and Lauren Hill.

Hill & TCQ on my list of curiosities, too.

My B-Boys exposure is intense but narrow, mostly Paul's Boutique thru Hello Nasty. I could offer some "where to start" points within that span, although other listeners might suggest a completely different set.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

Licensed to Ill is an album that I have loved for a long time, and the Beasties are the first to say it is a bad look - not at all PC. They say it was meant to send up frat boys and the like - and then they sort of took it too far. But it is still fun, and some of their singles and songs on the “Polly Wog Stew” EP from before it (“Cookie Puss” single, for example) are also worth reviewing.

Paul’s Boutique was produced by the Dust Brothers, was a flop at the time - and it is great. They were just really experimenting and finding a new sound after leaving Def Jan. It is just really, really great. They started playing their own instruments on Check Your Head, and it was a big step forward toward mixing more instrumentation with their sound (which would ultimately lead to “Sabotage”).

Last edited: