Fires at Food Processing Plants

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Hot pockets plant?? Guessing it was someone who had one the first time and burnt their mouth on a untasty brick they call a hot pocket.
Not sure what is more shocking, all these fires or the fact that hot pockets can legally be considered food.

Reactions: wxman1 and BCClone

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
Tyson held the town hostage until 2019. They shut the plant down and 450 people lost their jobs in 2014. Some food group tried to run it in 2019 and ran out of money… Lopez foods bought it for 5-6 million to get it running with 50 ish employees. I would like to see it get back to 450 ish… the town went on rapid decline in 2014. Businesses can’t stay open long, the only true department store is Dollar General. Source: grew up in Cherokee for 19 years, and I’m currently visiting family there right now. Haha.
I have heard that Cherokee chose the Mental Health Institute over ISU in the early 1900's. Any truth to that?

Cyismymonkey

Jan 1, 2013
My grandpa worked his whole 50 year career at Wilson in Cherokee. Then a couple years after he retired they cut his pension and left him hanging the last 15 years of his life. Not a fan.

Side note, I've been told Tyson bought that Wilson factory in Cherokee and is just holding it. Last I had heard they were refusing to sell the facility, presumably to prevent any competitor from acquiring it. Cherokee was already struggling to stay afloat without Tyson hamstringing the job market...

Are there any respectable food processing companies?!
I would like to say yes but I can’t. Inhumane working conditions I experienced first hand.

Reactions: reignofthetiger

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I have heard that Cherokee chose the Mental Health Institute over ISU in the early 1900's. Any truth to that?
I think every town with a jail or mental health facility has this story. When I lived in CO people always said Canon City picked the prison over CU. I think with those things there may be a sliver of truth but not exactly the town choosing.

Reactions: wxman1

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
My recollection of dates might be off but I have heard the rumor many times.
It may have been one of the options for location. Seeing Cherokee was founded in 1857, and ISU in 1858. I’m guessing the spot was more considered instead of the town turning it down.

Reactions: RedDog

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I think every town with a jail or mental health facility has this story. When I lived in CO people always said Canon City picked the prison over CU. I think with those things there may be a sliver of truth but not exactly the town choosing.

Agreed. I have heard the same story with Marshalltown and the Vets Home