Favorite Golf Courses

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
This is what always made me SMH. If they had built it between Bondurant and Ankeny, it would have been comparable to Glen Oaks, but instead they put it where they did.
Doesn't seem like they'd have the ability to have that nice layout/elevation like they do now had they done it there.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Anyone know how Briarwood is doing? I lived in Ankeny when they went private and played a ton of golf there, so I was pretty disappointed when they made the switch. I heard they were struggling their first couple of years but I was just curious if the switch is working out for them. It sucks that Otter is the only public option up there.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone.TV

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Doesn't seem like they'd have the ability to have that nice layout/elevation like they do now had they done it there.
You're right. It wouldn't have been the same type of course. It may have had to have been styled a bit more like a links course.

I just think it was a real stretch for them to assume that people would want to drive 50 minutes to pay $150 to play a that course. It's an even bigger stretch to think people will want to shell out the money for a membership.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
giphy.gif

I know, I play more golf than anyone in history

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Anyone know how Briarwood is doing? I lived in Ankeny when they went private and played a ton of golf there, so I was pretty disappointed when they made the switch. I heard they were struggling their first couple of years but I was just curious if the switch is working out for them. It sucks that Otter is the only public option up there.
I heard rumor that Albaugh (spelling?) was trying to buy Briarwood.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
You're right. It wouldn't have been the same type of course. It may have had to have been styled a bit more like a links course.

I just think it was a real stretch for them to assume that people would want to drive 50 minutes to pay $150 to play a that course. It's an even bigger stretch to think people will want to shell out the money for a membership.
Yeah, I agree.

We stayed in their little cabins right along Hole #2 (I believe). They also gave us the lounge area for the weekend. Really was a nice (short trip from Ankeny) getaway.

Hard to believe that course is in Iowa when you are in some spots.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
The joke around Ames was that Jensen operates the Harvester as a tax write-off for his Ames rental properties. Maybe it is doing better than we all think? Are there any tax advantages to making the course private? cost savings?

octaviouspoon

Jul 25, 2016
Wonder when Harvester is planning on turning private by. Never played and was hoping to get out there early in the season.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
never played it, but have heard that is an extremely narrow course and you better plan on losing some golf balls, correct?

It's not very forgiving if you are wild off the tee. When they have the native grass growing high off the fairway rough you will lose a lot of balls. It's easier when the native is cut down. Fairway shots into the green are relatively easy, though there are slopes and collection areas if you miss the green. Putting isn't too tough. I like the course.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
never played it, but have heard that is an extremely narrow course and you better plan on losing some golf balls, correct?

Correct indeed. I tend to slice my driver, and that was where I ran into trouble. I did enjoy it and I had a lot of fun playing it, it was just tough