Favorite Christmas Songs

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
The Pentatonix rendition of Little Drummer Boy is amazing. Pure vocal talent. I will be going out this afternoon to find that Christmas CD.

That said, and it's emotional to me - not so much based on the music. But I remember my dad sitting in the recliner next to the "record player" with his country artists Christmas album. Salt of the earth man. And when Johnny Cash and Little Drummer Boy came on he'd nod his head and tap his fingers... And all of us kids knew Christmas was just about here.

RIP dad.

(PS - I hope I linked this right).

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
On a related note, I just have to share this story. I played the guitar when I was a kid, and a buddy of mine and I were asked to play Silent Night in the church Christmas program. I was early teens and we practiced over and over and only got through it once perfectly. We nailed it in the program - two part medley.

But the fun part was beforehand. We were setting up in a backroom, I cranked the amp full blast, and churned out a mean version of "Smoke on the Water". Every old lady in the church came screaming into the room with their hair on fire. It was great!!!!! I loved firing those old people up and they hated me. Literally.

Reactions: CYdTracked

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
My favorite all-time secular Christmas song is Carol of the Bells. This is probably a lesser known version...but currently my favorite.

And another favorite, just because of the arrangement

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
On a related note, I just have to share this story. I played the guitar when I was a kid, and a buddy of mine and I were asked to play Silent Night in the church Christmas program. I was early teens and we practiced over and over and only got through it once perfectly. We nailed it in the program - two part medley.

But the fun part was beforehand. We were setting up in a backroom, I cranked the amp full blast, and churned out a mean version of "Smoke on the Water". Every old lady in the church came screaming into the room with their hair on fire. It was great!!!!! I loved firing those old people up and they hated me. Literally.

Paul Rhoads approves this story.

• Funny
Reactions: djkent01 and arobb

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
"I am so glad each Christmas Eve" or whatever it's called in Norwegian. My great-grandparents immigrated from Norway and my grandmother spoke Norwegian and English. We would spend every Christmas in Minnesota with her and my grandpa and she would belt the Norwegian verses of that song at the Christmas Eve service. My Grandma passed away earlier this year, so I am feeling particularly nostalgic this Christmas.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
This is a little unconventional but has been one of my favorites for years. There's a great back story but skip to 2:13 if you just want to hear the song. Classic cover by an amazing singer.

Reactions: Angie

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Merry Christmas Baby by Springstein
Rocking Sound the Christmas Tree (Home Alone Style)

But my all time fave: