Everybody needs to calm down.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
This is the best post I have seen today. In the 4th quarter, KSU had 20 points. Think about that. The offense gave the defense nothing, zero, nada, nothing all day. If they had done ANYTHING at all, they still would have been in the game in the 4th quarter. This isn't the 85 Bears defense, you can't expect shutouts. Considering what they are asked to do, isn't doing that bad. Baylor and OSU are two of the best offenses in the country, you can only ask so much of them.

Also, it is hard to play defense for an offense like this, going in, you know you have no chance. Wears on you after awhile.

Agree. One side of the ball just flat does not show up. If we have even a small bit of offense, that was a 17-7, maybe 17-10 game at half, with a chance to make adjustments and do something in the third quarter. I shut the game off at half because I knew we were done. The O had nothing AGAIN. I am not blaming players, especially Sam. I couldn't believe he got yanked. Way to destroy his confidence. The lack of preparation, in game coaching, play calling tempo, leadership all combined against what the defense was doing. Yes the D had lapses. But the O was one giant lapse and it all leads back to the coaching staff. It is just painful to watch.

stretchclone

Jan 1, 2008
SW Iowa
We have to agree its going to be a painful somewhat long process to get us near the top. We shouldn't settle for mediocrity, but lets be realistic here, we can be mad at Sam, but I think our offensive coaches need to help him out. I think he has potential to be pretty good, but he needs help, our wr's need to get their butts open! Our defense cant play the whole game!!! AND IM NOT TALKING ABOUT THOSE STUPID BUBBLE/TUNNEL SCREENS IN THE FLAT!!! take some shots! Have you ever noticed our receivers never catch the ball on the move, they are always stopped when the catch the ball.
I would like to see Messingham and maybe a few coaches gone! We can ask for a offensive master, Herman was here and is now a stud at Ohio State. We need all the pieces of the puzzle! Its gonna take a little bit of time folks!!!!
We need a Juco LB and a Juco safety to come in and provide immediate help on defense. I think we got playmakers on the offensive side, just need them developed and put in situations to be successful.
Did I say Messingham should be gone soon???

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
I can only imagine what will happen to this board if we are the team that gives Kansas its first conference win in 2+ years. Will CF spontaneously combust?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think that we're seeing the perfect storm of inexperience, injuries and recruiting misses. Things will be better next year. Only question is how much better.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I can only imagine what will happen to this board if we are the team that gives Kansas its first conference win in 2+ years. Will CF spontaneously combust?

Get ready for it...it's not if, but when. We're going to see ISU lose to two programs on their way to firing their coaches. And I'd be surprised if ISU is within 2 TDs of either. We haven't hit rock bottom yet.

el tornado

Mar 23, 2006
Thanks, I have calmed down. I see positives from the K-State game... We gave up 30 less points than we did to Baylor. Thanks to a huge fumble recovery the offense actually got to see what the Red Zone felt like.
Going forward we still have Kansas on the schedule AND if we lose to them we can secure the #1 draft pick

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Yes this team is not good, but everyone needs to take a step back and calm down. I, like many others, am upset that this team is playing like this but we need to take a look at the entire picture.

1. We had some recruiting misses which has led to having to put an inexperienced team on the field.
2. We had some season/career ending injuries along with transfers that also led to having to play inexperienced players along with shifting players to positions that they have not played before.
3. Our offensive line has been terrible, but we have a brand new OL coach who implemented a completely new scheme. Add to this the insanely high number of injuries and has prevented any kind of chemistry from forming between the guys on the line.
4. Our starting QB has been injured since the first game of the season and hasn't been anywhere near healthy since so his productivity will be diminished.
5. You don't just lose two NFL linebackers and not have any kind of drop off especially with how much they did on our defense.

We all knew that this was going to be a rough year whether we wanted to admit it or not and those that honestly thought that we would be able to go to a bowl game easily were only kidding themselves. Changes do need to be made but those who are calling for the entire coaching staff to be fired are delusional. We as a fan base have been spoiled by going to a bowl game in 3/4 years but at the first sign of adversity, people are ready to call for the entire staff's heads. A constant coaching carousel is not good for trying to have any progress (just ask Kansas how that is working).

Also, that 3% that would cause Allen Lazard to not come to ISU. Firing Rhoads would be that 3% and you can guarantee that there would be several other recruits that would leave (and possibly some current players) if Rhoads were to be fired.

This year sucks and there is no way that changes won't happen but I for one will still cheer on this team as I will always be a fan of the Cyclones. There is also no way that anybody can say that this team will not be better next year. They are gaining very valuable in game experience and that will pay off in the future.

I apologize for the lengthy post, but I felt someone needed to say something.

It wasn't just the 2 NFL linebackers, though. McDonough, Laing and Givens all signed with NFL teams as well. Plus Jeremy Reeves was a big loss, and Maggitt wasn't a bad DE. That's a lot of talent to replace right there. But we do have some really young guys who could make this defense really good in 2 years time. I think Mitchell Meyers is going to be the best DE we have had in a long time (not that that's saying much). Luke Knott and Nigel Tribune could be really really good also.

BigJ4CY

Nov 30, 2012
Cedar Rapids
When was the last time Sam played a game where the coaches didn't say he wasn't hurt or feeling sick? Not a lot of resiliency there, no matter how good he is. And if the back up isn't going to be better than the starter then we are going to be in trouble at the most important position on the offense for some time.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron