ESPN's Power Ranking a crock

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
Reactions: StPaulCyclone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Their Wisconsin, Penn St, and LSU ratings just prove that their FPI system is broken.

Sagarin is broken this year and it's typically waaaaaaay better than ESPN's FPI.

FPI broken in the same way to an even more hilarious degree.

Sagarin doesn't update until tomorrow, it'll be still be broken but current #6 2-1 Wisc will at least drop a few spots.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I feel like Louisiana is a Baylor/Texas Tech/K-State quality team that we played horribly against in game one. If Louisiana played one of those teams, I think the Ragin' Cajuns would be favored by like 4 points.
I think we would beat UL pretty easily now but all I can go on is the on the field results. Coastal beat them and we didn’t.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
After this weekend's games, ISU is 12, Iowa 13 in ESPN's Power Rankings.
How is that possible. Of Iowa's 7 opponents, 6 have 2 wins on the season. One, NW, is 5-1. They have played one ranked team.
ISU has played 5 ranked teams and of our 10 opponents 6 have non losing records.

If true I have only two words for you:

Gary Barta

He is applying the new Sesame Street saying of the year "re-image" to all thing college football. And we all need to "re-image" the power rankings.

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
I feel like Louisiana is a Baylor/Texas Tech/K-State quality team that we played horribly against in game one. If Louisiana played one of those teams, I think the Ragin' Cajuns would be favored by like 4 points.

Considering that Costal Carolina was outgained by KU I think that any Big 12 team would beat Louisiana easily.... outside of kU and of course us on that specific day...

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
ESPN has gotten into the habit of putting up odds to win or odds that this or that bywill happen. There is no way this is anything more than someone throwing a guess out there. There is no way they know the chances that a team makes the CFP. It's a subjective selection with no real criteria. You can't put that into a statistical analysis other than taking the average of a bunch of opinions.

• Agree
Reactions: AppleCornCy