Emmy nominations

Pitt_Clone

Nov 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
The 2013 Emmy nominations list

Seems like a lot of the same from past years.

Things that stand out on first glance:

Nothing for Walking Dead in the major categories.
Monica Potter not getting nominated for Parenthood is a damn travesty.
And once again nothing for John Noble in Fringe.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Is it typical for someone to get nominated for SNL? I guess I didn't think of it as a "comedy show" in the same vein as the others...

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
No Eric Stonestreet for Modern Family after WINNING the past two years is odd. I thought Arrested Development would see a bit more love. And Nick Offerman from Parks and Rec should always be nominated, as should the show for best comedy series.

I am very happy for the love of Veep. This season was so great and Tony Hale (Buster from Arrested Development) getting a nomination for Veep is well deserved. That show is great.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
TWD doesnt surprise me to not get nominated for anything major. I love TWD, but it could use better writing. Hoping that improves with the change in showrunner between seasons. Watching GoT and then going back to TWD is like night and day in writing quality.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
agreed alarson. The show I really like that never gets any love from the emmy's is Sons of Anarchy. The acting is great, the writing is good, I just think the old *** emmy voters don't like the premise of the show and hold it against the actors/writers.

Pitt_Clone

Nov 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
TWD doesnt surprise me to not get nominated for anything major. I love TWD, but it could use better writing. Hoping that improves with the change in showrunner between seasons. Watching GoT and then going back to TWD is like night and day in writing quality.
Yeah I didn't really expect anything for writing but I thought there was a chance Andrew Lincoln might get nominated. Or maybe Lennie James for guest actor in a drama.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Yeah I didn't really expect anything for writing but I thought there was a chance Andrew Lincoln might get nominated. Or maybe Lennie James for guest actor in a drama.

True, Lennie James definitely had one hell of a performance in 'Clear'. I really hope we see him again

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
This makes me want to check out House of Cards. Lots of GOT and Breaking Bad nominations, certainly well deserved as they are easily the best shows on TV IMO of what I've watched. I hope the guy who plays Mike on Breaking Bad wins the Emmy.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
The comedy ones always bug me the most. Really, four people from Modern Family and no one from New Girl? You never hear critics or normal people say anything about Episodes or House of Lies, so how do Cheadle and LeBlanc are solely picking up nominations for being big names. I don't watch or follow Glee, but didn't Jane Lynch ask to leave the show because she didn't think her character served any purpose anymore? And even though its adult cast should play right into the Emmys' need to only nominate and watch familiar names, no recognition for The Middle. At least they stopped throwing a nomination at Jon Cryer this year.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
The comedy ones always bug me the most. Really, four people from Modern Family and no one from New Girl? You never hear critics or normal people say anything about Episodes or House of Lies, so how do Cheadle and LeBlanc are solely picking up nominations for being big names. I don't watch or follow Glee, but didn't Jane Lynch ask to leave the show because she didn't think her character served any purpose anymore? And even though its adult cast should play right into the Emmys' need to only nominate and watch familiar names, no recognition for The Middle. At least they stopped throwing a nomination at Jon Cryer this year.

I can't stand Jon Cryer or Jim Parsons for that matter and both have won multiple times and it is headscratching. I think Two and a Half Men and especially Big Bang Theory are so unfunny. Stupid shows if you ask me.

New Girl is ok but I think it slipped a bit this year.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
This makes me want to check out House of Cards. Lots of GOT and Breaking Bad nominations, certainly well deserved as they are easily the best shows on TV IMO of what I've watched. I hope the guy who plays Mike on Breaking Bad wins the Emmy.

House of Cards is AWESOME!

Supporing actor for drama is really tough. Between three guys in my opinion: Aaron Paul and, Jonathan Banks from Breaking Bad, and Mandy Patankin from Homeland. I love both shows but my vote would be Patankin this year.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I know the premium cable shows are all the rage for drama, but I would like to see a little love for Person of Interest. Acting by Michael Emerson, Jim Caviezel, and Taraji Henson is all very good.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Bryan Cranston and Jon Hamm will continue to wrestle each other for the leading actor in a dramatic series until one or both are off the air. It's probably an honor to be nominated with them but I dont see how any of those nominees can beat out those two unless the voters get tired of voting Hamm or Cranston.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Bryan Cranston and Jon Hamm will continue to wrestle each other for the leading actor in a dramatic series until one or both are off the air. It's probably an honor to be nominated with them but I dont see how any of those nominees can beat out those two unless the voters get tired of voting Hamm or Cranston.

Good news then because this is the final season for Breaking Bad and Mad Men's last season is next year I believe.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I can't stand Jon Cryer or Jim Parsons for that matter and both have won multiple times and it is headscratching. I think Two and a Half Men and especially Big Bang Theory are so unfunny. Stupid shows if you ask me.

New Girl is ok but I think it slipped a bit this year.

Whoa, opposite opinion on New Girl. The first season was pretty good, but they really hit their stride this year. They had good directions for everyone but Winston, and found a take on Jess that downplayed her more annoying aspects.

And I get why Big Bang Theory is nominated. It's a legit ratings powerhouse and, while it's not my taste, it's at least better made than some of the other highly-rated but awful sitcoms. I have no qualms with the show or Parsons getting nominated.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

Hamm's never won, and probably won't at this point. The one year during BB's run where Cranston wasn't eligible they gave it to Kyle Chandler for Friday Night Lights. Cranston is the one that has the real stranglehold.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Whoa, opposite opinion on New Girl. The first season was pretty good, but they really hit their stride this year. They had good directions for everyone but Winston, and found a take on Jess that downplayed her more annoying aspects.

And I get why Big Bang Theory is nominated. It's a legit ratings powerhouse and, while it's not my taste, it's at least better made than some of the other highly-rated but awful sitcoms. I have no qualms with the show or Parsons getting nominated.

Schmidt is the best. Also, if you remember the Coach character from the premiere (played by Damon Wayans Jr) he's coming back to the show now that Happy Endings was cancelled. I think they said he'd be in about 5 episodes.

Pitt_Clone

Nov 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm still shocked about Parenthood getting nothing. Both Monica Potter and Peter Krause were amazing this season. Do the Emmys just not like Jason Katims? He did Friday Night Lights too and I think it took until the final season before Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton (Coach and Tami Taylor) got nominated for anything.