Electrical question: light fixtures

  • Fanatics -

    Thank you for your patience today and welcome to the newest version of Cyclone Fanatic!

    Most of the changes we have made are very simple, but will greatly improve your user experience while visiting the website.

    We have upgraded our forum software to speed things up. Our homepage is much cleaner and should be even more mobile friendly than before.

    We appreciate your loyalty and are committed to not only keeping Cyclone Fanatic in tip-top shape, but continuing to build this community for the next decade and beyond.

    We ask that if you are experiences any glitches to let us know in this thread . Will will be diligently working on the site all day.

    Thanks again.

    Chris Williams - Publisher


Well-Known Member
Jul 28, 2006
So we ordered some new exterior light fixtures for our house. Our old ones fully enclosed the light bulb, but these new ones are "barn" style where the bulb is under the fixture but technically open to any elements that may blow up into it. Our house faces north.

My question, maybe a really dumb one, but I've never encountered this....Do I need to buy special outdoor bulbs? I don't know if they need to be better protected/waterproof? The site we bought the fixtures from just says 120v wattage, E26/medium bulb base.

Thanks in advance.


Well-Known Member
Nov 5, 2009
I have fixtures like that too. i never knew they made special outdoor bulbs -- I always used the regular ones and never had any problems.


Well-Known Member
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Amana, IA
I've used an old school early 2000s CFL bulb in my front light for the last 10 years. I doubt it was rated for outdoor use. Still works well.