Doorbell cameras - any recommendations?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
We're building a house and it will sit empty for a few months before we can move and I want some basic passive security. Not interested in a security system but was thinking a nest or similar could provide piece of mind?

Any experiences?

123Punt

Aug 5, 2006
I installed eight of the Arlo Pro2 cameras (1080p) in a couple of properties about 18 months ago. At the time it was hands down the best product for the money. Things move quickly so I can't tell you if it is still tops today. Since my install they have now introduced doorbell cameras and 4k cameras. My Pro2's have performed superbly. Even caught the SOB that broke into my car. Do not get anything less than 1080p. Netgear (Arlo) provides 7 days free storage at no cost so compare that to the competitors. The units can be run hard wired, battery or solar powered.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Thanks for the unanimous votes of support. Ring it is.

WRONG! Acme is the proven supplier!

8ee83f198a133be21a83d803aaf1e3299dbd4315.jpg

Available on online now.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I have a bunch of Nest stuff and the install was painfully simple.

Check out the products each provider can package together and see if anything else interests you and then decide.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Ring Pro here. Liked the fact that it can be hardwired, no batteries to deal with. It also has more user customization options for defining motion zones to help reduce false notifications (tree branch in the wind, car driving by, etc).

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I don't have one (been on my list) but when I do pull the trigger, I think I'll get the Nest Hello.
The one feature I like better is that the Nest records 24/7. The Ring products only start recording when motion is detected.
I also think the Nest looks a little nicer/sleeker than the Ring Pro.

I like this site for reviews if you want to read some comparison between these options
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-smart-doorbell-camera/

Ozclone

Dec 12, 2009
I have a nest that I love. I know that you said that you weren't interested in a security system, but you might want to consider a simplisafe system. I bought one shortly before we moved and it is on our old house. Since we need to do some work on the old house before we sell, we'll have a several month overlap. Simplisafe installs without wiring and there is a doorbell camera that connects to the system. Monitoring is month to month with no contract. Then when you move, you can move it to the old house and sell it with it.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Just for my own curiosity, why are these so popular all the sudden? Do people really think that there is a high likelihood their house is going to get broken into or a package delivered to their house is going to get stolen? I honestly don't understand the popularity of these.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic