Des Moines to Kansas City Relocation help

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
another question about kansas/missouri: do the realtors include basement square footage (finished or not) when they are listed?

minnesota did, but iowa does not i believe.

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
I moved from West Des Moines to Overland Park in 2001 and I really like it here. As long as you're not right by I-435 the traffic really isn't much worse than in WDM. South Overland Park is the Blue Valley school district and is very good. North Overland Park and Lenexa is the Shawnee Mission school district and is good but not quite as good as Blue Valley.

In my opinion having lived in both places:
Overland Park, KS = West Des Moines
Liberty, Mo = Ankeny
Leawood, KS = Clive
Lenexa, KS = Urbandale
Lees Summit, MO = Altoona

Reactions: cyclonesurveyor

OPCyclone

Dec 4, 2008
Overland Park, KS
another question about kansas/missouri: do the realtors include basement square footage (finished or not) when they are listed?

I do not believe the listings include the basement square footage; however, if you are looking in JoCo then you can always find better data and comps here: Appraiser's Office |. Look in the "Real Estate Values" link.

I have lived South of I-435 for nearly 20 years and have worked with clients all over the metro. The majority of the comments relative to the areas of town are correct in regards to school systems. The comments relative to the type of people that you find living throughout the metro could not be more wrong....you will find down to earth people everywhere you go and buttheads everywhere you go in the metro area. I personally would prefer to live in the type of areas you are considering or seem to be wanting; however, my wife's job requires her to only be a certain distance from three different hospitals and to live on the Kansas side of the state line and the choices available were limited...

We currently have a son in high school and even though the Blue Valley schools are excellent we sent him to Rockhurst High School (Jesuit Boy's School) for a variety of reasons and have been very happy with the school thus far midway through his Junior year.

Unless you must drive west on I-435 in the morning into Johnson County or east in the evening back towards Missouri the traffic is really no worse than the busy areas of West Des Moines. I am lucky that my "commute" is reverse of the main traffic flow and my wife only has about 7 minutes from her office.

Good luck in your search and make sure to check out the Kansas City Cyclone Club once you get in town.

Mike

Reactions: cyclonesurveyor

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest

It depends. If the basement is finished, and has legal egress for the space, ie: walkout, bedrooms with a closet/window, and bathroom within a short distance, yes, they can, and usually include it.

In the older areas, it isn't very common, but in southern Johnson county, it is prevalent.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron