DC Extended Universe

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://screenrant.com/suicide-squad-2-joel-kinnaman-rick-flag-returning/

There has been lots of back-and-forth rumors in the past for this, but apparently it is confirmed now that Joel Kinnaman will in fact be returning to reprise his Rick Flag role in James Gunn's new Suicide sequel. I'm cool with this. The casting was not what was wrong with the first Suicide Squad movie, the writing and directing was.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
h6b2xjyzevtsdfvudt9p.jpg

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/james-gunn-considered-direct-justice-league-reboot-wb/

Rumor is that James Gunn is being courted to oversee and possibly direct a Justice League reboot.

Hmmm, I'm intrigued. I'd kill to see a good Justice League movie. I also like their new lineup they are talking about using in the movie, but where is Cyborg? I actually thought he was one of the best parts of the original movie and I've been sad to see him sidelined through all these announcements of new movies. 20 Harley Quinn movies before seeing a Cyborg movie???? PPaaallllleeeaaassseeee.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Anyone catch the animated Batman vs Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

I grinned ear to ear on that one the whole movie. Watching Batman take on Shredder was surreal and awesome.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
This is a rumor, but multiple sources are saying that Andy Serkis is up for a role in The Batman film. This makes a lot of sense as Serkis has worked with director Matt Reeves previously on the Planet of the Apes films where Serkis starred as Ceasar.

Speculation is that Serkis is up for one of the villain roles, and that it will NOT be motion capture. With his accent and build it's hard not to assume he will play The Penguin.

https://batman-on-film.com/8360/rumor-andy-serkis-up-for-a-role-in-the-batman/

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
This is a rumor, but multiple sources are saying that Andy Serkis is up for a role in The Batman film. This makes a lot of sense as Serkis has worked with director Matt Reeves previously on the Planet of the Apes films where Serkis starred as Ceasar.

Speculation is that Serkis is up for one of the villain roles, and that it will NOT be motion capture. With his accent and build it's hard not to assume he will play The Penguin.

https://batman-on-film.com/8360/rumor-andy-serkis-up-for-a-role-in-the-batman/

He is definitely my #1 choice for penguin. The dude could be terrifying in the role.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/joke...oaquin-phoenix-clowns-up-in-new-still-a169329

These are definitely interesting comments from Director Todd Philips about his Joker movie. Can't say I love how he is saying it. Yeah, I know some people are really looking forward to this movie, but I just can't say I'm one of them. None of the trailers have really done it for me with their dark indie flair, and comments like these really don't help the cause either. With that said, I'm never going to root for anything to be bad, so I still hope everyone proves me wrong and I end up really like the film.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://screenrant.com/dwayne-johnson-black-adam-shazam-3-zachary-levi/

Zachary Levi revealed that the overall plan is to have a Shazam 2 and a Black Adam 1 before they would cross the two together within a Shazam 3, if it were to ever happen. Personally, I really like that general plan, however, I'm not sure it was the wisest for Levi to just blurt out that plan to the public. I can't imagine the brass over at WB loves that he talked this far out.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I don't know. I think Marvel does a really good job of building momentum and excitement for their movies by giving us an idea what's coming in the phases.

DC much prefers the route of random people or leaks announcing 200 different upcoming movies, with 150 of them being Harley Quinn spinoffs, and none of them being actually desired Superman or Green Lantern movies. Then, in the end actually making....well.... none of them.

• Funny
Reactions: harimad and BryceC

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Here is the new Supergirl costume for Season 5 without a skirt and I think it looks pretty rad. I've never really loved the look of the skirt anyway, even though that is what has pretty much always been the case in the comics. I'm currently working my way through Season 4 right now on Netflix and I've got to admit that I'm kind of digging it. Supergirl on CW in general has been very up and down with some very apparent flaws, but I feel like they have focused in on what they do best in Season 4 to maybe produce their best season yet. It helps that Jon Cryer as Lex Luthor comes onto the scene and from what I've seen of him so far, he is ruthlessly spectacular in the role. Bringing in Sam Witwer as Agent Liberty was great as well. I'm just hoping it ends strong.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
This was announced a few days ago, but Brandon Routh will be reprising the role of Superman in the Arrow-verse crossover, based around Crisis on Infinite Earths. Early rumor is that Routh will play a different version of Superman than his portrayal in Bryan Singers “Superman Returns” - it’s thought that he will be playing Superman based on the Kingdom Come storyline.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
My kids are crazy for the DC films. So far they have watched Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Shazam! They are currently watching Shazam! for the third time this week. The only MCU film I could get them to watch is Black Panther - nothing else has held their attention. I think DC has found a great formula and I hope that they keep the films coming. I personally prefer the MCU, but my kids are all about DC.

Reactions: Triggermv

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
This is interesting to me, because it's the exact opposite for me. My kids can barely make it through a DC movie. Aquaman and WW were especially tough for them because there are just some really long sequences with no action.
Shazam had a completely different feel to it than some of the other recently put out DC movies. I really liked it, even though it had some cheesy moments. It was very light, but had some dark moments too. The casting and script were also spot on as well. The funny moments seemed to flow and did not feel like they were desperately trying to be funny like the script in justice league did. If the other future DC movies can take that sort of feel from Shazam, I think DC can get back to where they should be. They have an absolute gold mine of heroes and villains, but have continuously put out pretty bad films.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Shazam was a tough movie to buy into the way you buy into other DC/Marvel movies but it was fairly entertaining. I don't see how it would work in a DC universe sense but on it's own, fun kids movie (Minus the strange moments where it's easily PG13 darkish for no reason. Take the office scene, that was crazy dark where virtually the rest of the movie felt like disney).

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
This is interesting to me, because it's the exact opposite for me. My kids can barely make it through a DC movie. Aquaman and WW were especially tough for them because there are just some really long sequences with no action.

Shazam feels very much like an 80s movie, and my kids LOVE 80s movies. We watch the Goonies, Gremlins, Ghostbusters, Dark Crystal and I think that's why they loved Shazam so much. I'd agree that the Seven Sins monsters were very scary, especially during the boardroom scene, but when you think of it like an 80s movie it wasn't that far off from what a PG-rated film would have been back then.

My just kids cannot get in to the MCU right now and I think it has to do with how long it takes for the MCU heroes to get their powers. The MCU films they like are Spider-Man: Homecoming and Black Panther, and both films start off with the heroes already having powers. Films like Iron Man 1 and Captain America: The First Avenger take the first 30 minutes to get to the superpowers. You then have to watch those films first in order to understand what is happening in the sequels and that just completely loses them. With the DC films the superheroes already have powers (except for Shazam), so it's easy to suspend disbelief early on and keep you entertained. I think Shazam held their interest because of the kids and they also liked the scary parts.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Yeah that boardroom scene... probably one of my biggest parenting fails. Scared one of my kids who was 6 at the time more than probably anything he'd seen up to that point.

I about crapped my pants watching that and I'm....well....not 6.