Dan McCarney Suffers Stroke

cigaretteman

Nov 8, 2006
Iowa
Take it from Dan McCarney – something bad, something like a stroke -- can happen even when you’re in tip-top physical condition.

“But tell everyone back there that I’m doing fine,†the former ISU head football coach said Tuesday from his bed in a Denton, Texas, hospital. “I’ve got too much Irish in me to stay down very long.â€

McCarney, now coach at North Texas, confirmed that he suffered a stroke Sunday morning, shortly after his daily workout.

“I was just sitting down to eat a sandwich when my left side went numb,†said McCarney, the North Texas coach who coached at Iowa State 12 seasons. “Talk about a scary feeling.â€

McCarney was rushed to the hospital in a helicopter, where a stroke was detected.
“Something happened on the left side in the back of my brain,†said McCarney, a former Iowa player and assistant coach. “My left side – all of a sudden everything went numb.â€

He underwent tests Monday and was undergoing tests Tuesday morning.

“The doctors – and they’ve been fantastic – say I’m fine,†McCarney said. “They’re expecting a full recovery – no permanent damage.â€

Spring practice?

“I’m supposed to get out of the hospital in a couple days,†he said. “I feel good right now. I’ve got a little tingling feeling, but hey, if that’s the worst of it, I’d say I’m a pretty lucky guy.

“Nothing wrong with me that a little Grey Goose won’t cure.â€
McCarney, still hospitalized, confirms stroke but sounds cheery | The Des Moines Register | DesMoinesRegister.com

laxtonto

Dec 16, 2010
Denton
Sales in Denton County of Grey Goose have now tripled from fans buying coach Mac get well soon gifts...

Last edited:

CysMyGuy

Nov 2, 2006
Southlake TX
In our prayers Mac. Always a Cyclone in my book. Never forget his first banquet in Omaha after taking the job. After Pete finished speaking, he introduced Mac. Mac picked up the podium like it was made of balsa wood and sat it aside. He said "I don't think you'll need this microphone to hear me." We were ready to suit up by the time he finished. Planning on hitting a Mean Green game this year in ISU gear to support his effort.

Help Support Us

Become a patron