Cyclone Student Section

SenorCy

Aug 29, 2010
C.J.
Yes, I am a student. I didn't say you didn't care, but the attitude of seems a bit patronizing. You probably don't see it because you don't have an outside perspective, but that is how it appears to others.[/QUOTE

:skeptical: how can any student that has tickets and goes to games have an outside perspective of the student section?
I am not in charge. You are apparently have too much invested in CA to see its apparent flaws.

SenorCy

Aug 29, 2010
C.J.
Going to other schools has nothing to do with the sense of 'attitude' he referred to. and I'm sure that no one liked getting that Jersey this year...you're right, stop giving dumb props...I suppose we should all give our jerseys back, because they are cycfan1 says they are lame!
This is the "attitude" I was talking about earlier. CA can do no wrong in the eyes of CA commitee members. Nothing is CA's fault.

bigcyfan82

Aug 30, 2008
Des Moines
This is the "attitude" I was talking about earlier. CA can do no wrong in the eyes of CA commitee members. Nothing is CA's fault.
I'm not in charge either. You're still failing to prove your point "that you have to cheer the way cyclone alley wants you to" type of attitude...
I have cheered the way I have wanted to for the past 3 years. :wideeyed: I'm pretty sure you can do the same.

and what are the apparent flaws? That you have to wear a shirt to the games?

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
1) Some of the props are just dumb, save the money and sponsor a roadtrip... I love roadtrips.

2) People should just get drunk before games. You'll have less to ***** about on a messageboard after the game and more to scream about during the game.

Reactions: bigcyfan82

isucy1234

Apr 2, 2009
I agree with ending the props. They are stupid and worthless.

Attendance as a whole has held up great this year considering our record. I was shocked by the crowd against KSU last week. And I'll admit CA attendance left a lot to be desired yesterday and just this season in general. But, I don't quite get the constant criticism of the students.

I became an ISU basketball fan when McDermott was hired (not the greatest timing...). In these five years as a Cyclone bball fan, I've seen ZERO home wins over ranked teams. I've seen ONE win total over a ranked team. ZERO conference tournament wins. ZERO winning seasons. ZERO post-season appearances. I'm in my second year as a student, and I've seen just THREE home conference wins. And I've seen a LOT of bad losses and should-have-won games. Basically, there has been nothing to get too excited about. We have been really bad for a long time now.

The same goes for most of the other students today. With some exceptions, most of us didn't grow up paying close attention to ISU sports back when Hilton Magic was something real, back when we were winning championships. All we know is losing, usually in the most painful ways imaginable.

So it's absolutely amazing we have the student support that we do, especially on our current losing streak. Once we start consistently winning games at home (hopefully starting next year), especially big games against ranked teams, the non-lunatic fringe students (and non-students too) will start coming to to games more and will get more involved. The only way to fix things is to win, and to rebuild the culture of expecting to win at home, no matter the opponent.

Great post, outside of the first line. I really enjoyed the Hoiberg jerseys. I believe CA has really cut down on props this year too by the way. It seemed like last year they were giving out dumb wrist bands or those yelling funnels every game.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Great post, outside of the first line. I really enjoyed the Hoiberg jerseys. I believe CA has really cut down on props this year too by the way. It seemed like last year they were giving out dumb wrist bands or those yelling funnels every game.

I liked the wrist bands and yelling funnels more than suspenders and fuzzy hats...

SenorCy

Aug 29, 2010
C.J.
I'm not in charge either. You're still failing to prove your point "that you have to cheer the way cyclone alley wants you to" type of attitude...
I have cheered the way I have wanted to for the past 3 years. :wideeyed: I'm pretty sure you can do the same.

Really it comes down to this, does CA make the game day atmosphere any better than it would be if it wasn't there?

bigcyfan82

Aug 30, 2008
Des Moines
Really it comes down to this, does CA make the game day atmosphere any better than it would be if it wasn't there?
I really can't answer that question. I wasn't there when it wasn't CA, and when it wasn't CA, we were also winning lots of games. If CA was in place back in the 90's and when fizer and tinsley were playing, Hilton would probably have been just as loud, it would have been the same students cheering. Obviously, winning will cure everything.

but again, you're failing to prove your point about this perceived attitude about cheering...

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009

Apparent flaw: I had to spend an extra 30 dollars, on top of the ridiculous 120 for tickets, just to be able to sit in the lower deck.

Reactions: SenorCy

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Exactly. Well they didnt actually show up during hte last season we went to the NCAAs. The upper deck section has been empty since the creation of CA.

There are a few reasons for this:

First, the tickets are sold, just not in use. It doesnt help that its incredibly hard to sell tickets. The rest of us with regular-priced seating can easily sell our tickets on CF or elsewhere. Students have a much harder time doing this, as they cant just give away a CA shirt with their ticket. I dont know if they check student ids for BB, but its even worse for FB since you need that ID, so your pool of potential buyers goes way down.

Second, CA hurts the draw because before, it was all GA. Everyone could have a chance at a lower level seat. If you didnt get it, you were already there so you might as well go up to the upper deck. Now if you're not CA, you know you're going to be stuck up in the worst part of the upper deck.

Thirdly, due to the fact that the student sections are GA, their attendance or lack thereof is a lot more pronounced. If a section is 10-20% empty in the rest of the parquet, it doesnt look nearly as bad because those seats are scattered. In the student section however, since everyone pushes to the front, you're left with one gaping hole of seats. It creates an impression of bad attendance even if its no worse than the rest of the arena.

Reactions: wxman1

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Who said anyone wanted any of that? I mean some of it is nice, but would most people buy it if they weren't required to to get a good seat?

Exactly. Why should people have to pay for all those gimmicks just to sit in the lower bowl?

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
Apparent flaw: I had to spend an extra 30 dollars, on top of the ridiculous 120 for tickets, just to be able to sit in the lower deck.

So you pay $10 a game for really good seats.

Yeah, that's a ridiculous price. :rolleyes:

The only issue I have is that there isn't an option for those who want to go to a few games but don't want to buy season tickets because they know they wont get to all of them.

And being in the upper deck as a student sucks. It's hard to feel like you are involved. Same goes for football games though. You get out of attending games as what you put in. I've had a blast this season.

SenorCy

Aug 29, 2010
C.J.
You're right, since you don't want your jersey anymore, there were lots of guys on here that wanted one. You should probably give it to one of them.
There is a difference between wanting something and actually buying it. Do I want a Ferrari? Yes. Am I going to go out and buy one? No. Do I want the jersey? Yes. Would I have bought if not forced to to get a good seat? No.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
The jersey was cool...that being said I also haven't had it out since that day and rarely see anyone wearing them around campus and only a couple at games.

I'm fine with paying the $30 if it's put to good use like the road trips (and by road trips I mean one's with buses not trying to fill every seat of three or four 15 passenger vans with fully grown adults and then get frustrated and mad when people want to leave instead of practically sitting on a strangers lap for 4 hours. The stupid frilly hats, suspenders, bow ties, and even yesterdays hats are useless and won't ever be worn by 99% of the people receiving them outside of that game. Just put the money to better use.

Oh and the couple of you that are fiercely defending them, I applaud you but listen to what people are saying and how many of us are saying it.

SenorCy

Aug 29, 2010
C.J.
IMO, the best thing would be for CA to be optional and to just do the the game watches and road trips and not be in charge of the student section.

Reactions: wxman1

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
IMO, the best thing would be for CA to be optional and to just do the the game watches and road trips and not be in charge of the student section.

I agree I would definitely pay the $30 to have more cheap road trips and game watches.