Corner 3 Mailbag Episode - 12/16/21

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Recording a podcast with Scott Christopherson today. He wants to take some questions from fans. Hit me with whatever you’ve got about this year’s team, the Big 12, etc. and we’ll answer it on the pod.

(I don’t think Scott knows the box he’s opening so let’s make sure he gets some of the best questions possible his first time. ;))

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Scott - the wiggle gif. Explain.
4bAzM3.gif

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
Who are the top 10 transfers that ISU has ever had, and how does Brockington compare to them?

CloneFan96

Apr 11, 2006
Explain the defensive funneling they are doing. I don't think I've ever seen anyone else use it or deploy it the way they are. When on sideline it looks like they almost dare them to go towards baseline or even towards the basket and not back over the top.

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
How does a basketball team evolve from 5 players on the court playing hard to 5 players on the court playing hard together? Is it mindset, accountability, practice tactics, or an even mix of these?
And what do you think Coach Otz's recipe has been for getting us to this level of playing as a team?

• Winner
Reactions: cyputz and Die4Cy

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
If we were talking purely mid-range shooting ability, Izaiah would be 1A, Marial Shayok would be 1B and you already know 1C — Jeff Beverly. Rest of the list is irrelevant.
Christopherson might put himself on the top of the transfer list?

• Winner
Reactions: JimDogRock

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
ISU's beginning Big 12 slate is brutal, with 5 of the first 6 games against the top 25 and three of the top ten rated defenses over that span. Who are the players Iowa State most needs to step up on the offensive side of the court over that stretch to make ISU successful in the Big 12 coming out of the gates, and what specifically can they do to help improve ISU's offensive production?

Last edited:
Reactions: cyputz

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Which player needs to raise their level in conference play for us to get to .500 in conference and guarantee a tournament spot?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Scott, you seemed to thrive in a somewhat looser team environment. We are hearing lots about Coach Otz creating a more structured team environment, including early morning breakfasts and as you have noted, even rigorous shoot-arounds. How would you have resonded in a stricter environment? Would that have turned you off? Or maybe helped you be even better?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Scott, you mentioned to Chris that Jackson State's defense really got after our wings in denying them the ability to catch the ball, which is why we struggled at times to get into our offense. How do we combat that, or how would you combat that against a more quality team like Baylor? They're bound to do the exact same thing, so do you not fight it and back door them every time / dribble the wing through? Make stronger cuts to get the ball while not getting pushed out towards the top?

Thanks!

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
It is almost like this team tries to shrink the court into halves. We often see Hunter play the middle of the arc not allowing his opponent to dribble the ball/pass the ball to the other half of the court. What are they trying to do here?

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
I am still trying to figure out how rotations work. Why do some rotation guys average more minutes than starters?

I.E. Tristan Enaruna and Aljaz Kunc play similar roles on the team. Tristan Enaruna has started for Iowa State all season and averages 15 mins a night. Aljaz Kunc is a 6th man/rotation guy and averages 22 mins a night. Why is it this way?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Thoughts on the new B12 teams entering the league?
What he'd like to see schedule wise now with 12 teams.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I am still trying to figure out how rotations work. Why do some rotation guys average more minutes than starters?

I.E. Tristan Enaruna and Aljaz Kunc play similar roles on the team. Tristan Enaruna has started for Iowa State all season and averages 15 mins a night. Aljaz Kunc is a 6th man/rotation guy and averages 22 mins a night. Why is it this way?
Because Kunc is an absolute baller and Enaruna disappears at times. Enaruna has potential though. Plenty of teams have bench players play more than starters

Reactions: Cyclad