Cord cutting question

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I made the switch a couple of weeks ago from 100mb Mediacom/Cable to 1gb Mediacom/Youtube TV. A few observations:

1. I'm not saving any money by cutting the cord. Knew that going in.
  2. The picture quality is a lot better on YTV compared to Cable. Getting 1080p.
  3. Not really missing any channels but at the same time, I don't feel we're getting anything better.
  4. I use to use Harmony remotes to control TV, Cable Box, Receiver, etc. I'm now able to use the small remote that came with the Chromecast With Google TV. I've replaced all of my old Chromecast devices with these Chromecast with Google TV devices and they work great. Also bought additional remotes for the wife. CEC now works perfect but was a complete disaster with the cable TIVO box.
  5. The DVR things is good but I still have a couple of complaints. You can't mark off shows that you've watched. A lot of the shows come up as VOD and with those you can't FF through commercials.
  6. Both HBO Max and Netflix look amazing. HDR, Dolby Vision, etc.
  7. I'm seeing about 650 Mbps hardwire with Mediacom 1gb service. Seeing about 300 Mbps via Google WiFi throughout the house.
  8. YTV has some nice little features like if you are watching live sports it has a ton of stats. It's also a lot easier to find programing. You can just hit a listen button and say something like "ABC" and it will go there or "Houston Rockets" and it will show available shows.
I'm interested- why did you make the switch?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I'm interested- why did you make the switch?

A few things.

I want to start moving away from Mediacom if at all possible. We have a new provider coming into Johnston over the next year and I may possibly make the switch.

I like the all in one solution that Google TV provides.

I wanted better picture quality. I have a great LG TV in the living room and a 120" 4k home theater projection.

Unlimited DVR is nice even though I probably never went over 25% on my Tivo.

Travel should be nice with YTV.

I probably could get away with a smaller internet package but I have a few cameras that take up a lot of data. I also like to leave the TV on all night when I sleep. I've found a way to put a sleep timer on the Google TV so I'm trying to get away from leaving it on all night.

• Informative
Reactions: Acylum

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
I just signed up for YouTube.tv and will be pulling Mediacom out except for the Internet, which I've always been happy with. What cable modem should I purchase?

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Been a user of YTTV for over 2 years now and my family is very satisfied! And we are still saving money from what we were paying for cable.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
Curious if anyone can compare streaming, vs Direct Tv when it comes to multiple household TVs (6 in our case). I'm interested in streaming, but DTV is sooooo easy to use through the whole household, that it might be worth some extra $. I worry about data and buffering too.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
A few things.

I want to start moving away from Mediacom if at all possible. We have a new provider coming into Johnston over the next year and I may possibly make the switch.

I like the all in one solution that Google TV provides.

I wanted better picture quality. I have a great LG TV in the living room and a 120" 4k home theater projection.

Unlimited DVR is nice even though I probably never went over 25% on my Tivo.

Travel should be nice with YTV.

I probably could get away with a smaller internet package but I have a few cameras that take up a lot of data. I also like to leave the TV on all night when I sleep. I've found a way to put a sleep timer on the Google TV so I'm trying to get away from leaving it on all night.

Interesting to see you say that. I tried YTTV a little over a year ago and ultimately stayed with my cable because I thought cable offered a better picture, and YTTV didn't offer 5.1 surround on live programming. I found both to be very noticeable on my manage setup. On the other TVs around the house it didn't make much difference though.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Curious if anyone can compare streaming, vs Direct Tv when it comes to multiple household TVs (6 in our case). I'm interested in streaming, but DTV is sooooo easy to use through the whole household, that it might be worth some extra $. I worry about data and buffering too.

I can easily put a TV outside. Literally I can put a TV anywhere with a power source in and around the house.

Reactions: cyfanatic

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
freddy-got-fingered-imbilical-cord-e1536250435396.png
"It's my umbilical cord. It's just for fun."

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron