• Sling

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • DirecTV Now

Votes: 18 15.9%
  • Hulu Live TV

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Vue

Votes: 61 54.0%
  • YouTube TV (not available in my area but what the heck)

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Choose your fave. I'm doing a trial of DirecTV Now and so far I like it a lot. No cloud dvr yet but it's coming soon. Only one with access to Viacom at present.

Tried Vue and Sling previously and was unimpressed with their Roku interfaces but will try again before cutting the cord for real.

Want to try Hulu Live TV as well but not available on Roku yet and that's all I have.

Jmarsh13

Sep 28, 2006
SlingTV has the Viacom channels and dvr is $5 per month. You may need to add Comedy Extra bundle for $5 to get more of the Viacom channels if looking for more than Comedy Central.

Jmarsh13

Sep 28, 2006
SlingTV Blue base package with the 4 Extras deal (Kids, Comedy, News, Lifestyle extras) for $35/mo. Even this is way too many channels (80+ channels) if it was just me.

Have the DVR for free since I was a beta tester. Only had issues one time last summer trying to watch the Copa America soccer final.

Will add Sling Orange for $15/mo extra in late August / Sept 1 for college and pro football on ESPN.

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
I have Sling through Roku. The interface is terrible. The live TV works decent enough but recorded shows buffer and sometimes just fail to load and you lose your place in the program. Skipping past parts is basically non-functional, and often times commercials play at 3x volume compared to the show. It's not good and I'm going to cancel and perhaps try something else. I have the Blue and Orange package.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I have Sling through Roku. The interface is terrible. The live TV works decent enough but recorded shows buffer and sometimes just fail to load and you lose your place in the program. Skipping past parts is basically non-functional, and often times commercials play at 3x volume compared to the show. It's not good and I'm going to cancel and perhaps try something else. I have the Blue and Orange package.

That's probably our biggest complaint in regard to Sling. I've thought about trying out Vue, but keep hearing the horror stories about how they have basically no Roku interface.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Old person question here. I feel confident that the online ones work against your data limits for wifi, do any of their other ones also eat into data? Like sling or Hulu?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I had been trying to find a solution to DirecTV for nearly a year, but my problem with Vue and Sling was that the packages did not include all the channels both of us wanted to have. DirecTV Now was the first solution that provided everything we wanted, and we got in on the cheap$35/month intro rate. My only complaint with DirecTV Now is the buffering, but its got a lot better over the 4 months we have had it. The biggest downfall to cutting the cord was losing DVR, but sounds like DirecTV now will have cloud DVR in the future which will be awesome.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Old person question here. I feel confident that the online ones work against your data limits for wifi, do any of their other ones also eat into data? Like sling or Hulu?

Yes, ALL streaming services will eat data. I am stuck with satellite internet, which is better than cell hotspot, but not much. I like Sling as at least I can set the data setting to the lowest quality and not go over too often. I think the two months with bowl games and March Madness I used up the 20 Gb before the month was over.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I just started a 5 day trial with Vue. I picked up a Firestick and so far I've been really impressed. I do have a couple of questions though and would appreciate some feedback from other Vue users.

1.) When you are watching sports is it a little choppy? I've noticed the chopiness and was wondering if others have this issue or if maybe my modem isn't putting out a strong enough signal. I just switched our internet over to mediacom's 100mbps service and I'm pretty sure they put in a used modem. My modem is close to my TV and the Vue App never shows a full signal.

2.) ABC is "on demand" only for now but are you able to watch ABC sporting events through the Watch ESPN App? I've never been able to pick up ABC in the DSM area over the air, so I'm just making sure I have that figured out for football season.

josh777

Apr 13, 2006
We have Sling via Roku. It gets the job done but I miss the ease and "smoothness" of Dish.

titleist

Dec 31, 2008
Ames

All of the services mentioned use an Internet connection...whether it be through CenturyLink, Mediacom, Winnebago Telecom, Rise Broadband, Verizon, US Cellular, etc.

Data limits definitely come into play for cord cutters. Also keep in mind that there are restrictions in place on 'unlimited' data packages. Make sure to read the fine print when researching broadband or cellular packages. Some have a cap in place and will charge extra if you go over, some will reduce your speed when you hit a certain data amount for the billing cycle.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: aauummm

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Whether you realize it or not, you are missing another very sizable category, which is the category of piggybacking usernames and passwords off of people with cable/dish. Count me in that category. For me, I piggyback it off of work, whereas I'm sure most people just piggyback off of family members or friends. In fact, prior to all these services you've got listed here, that was somewhat your only avenue to get a lot of stuff while cord cutting. Personally, I also consider myself one of the original cord cutters who remembers back in the day when WatchESPN (only called ESPN3 at the time) was completely free to anyone with an eligible internet provider was all.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Around '02 or '03 I was an early HDtv adopter and in Chicago I got a ton of channels and sports (well over half of the Cubs and Bulls seasons) with just an HD Antennae. Paired that up with the old netflix DVDs through mail for a few years.

The past few years I have Amazon Prime always. 1 or 2 months a year of HBO after GoT finishes. 2 or 3 months of Sling for Walking Dead/March Madness. Then a month or two of Netflix when I get neither of those others.

End up paying about $20/mo for TV content but a big chunk of that (or maybe all of it) I get back from saving on Prime free shipping.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Whether you realize it or not, you are missing another very sizable category, which is the category of piggybacking usernames and passwords off of people with cable/dish. Count me in that category. For me, I piggyback it off of work, whereas I'm sure most people just piggyback off of family members or friends. In fact, prior to all these services you've got listed here, that was somewhat your only avenue to get a lot of stuff while cord cutting. Personally, I also consider myself one of the original cord cutters who remembers back in the day when WatchESPN (only called ESPN3 at the time) was completely free to anyone with an eligible internet provider was all.

Yeah, I forgot to mention the golden era of free ESPN3 in my post. For a while you didn't even need a specific internet provider let alone a cable subscription.

I had ESPN3 and over the air HD in Chicago that got me TONS of local NHL, NBA and MLB games. I'd go to a bar or friend's to watch ISU play football on Fox cable networks but other than that I had all the sports I wanted legally for free for many years.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I just started a 5 day trial with Vue. I picked up a Firestick and so far I've been really impressed. I do have a couple of questions though and would appreciate some feedback from other Vue users.

1.) When you are watching sports is it a little choppy? I've noticed the chopiness and was wondering if others have this issue or if maybe my modem isn't putting out a strong enough signal. I just switched our internet over to mediacom's 100mbps service and I'm pretty sure they put in a used modem. My modem is close to my TV and the Vue App never shows a full signal.

2.) ABC is "on demand" only for now but are you able to watch ABC sporting events through the Watch ESPN App? I've never been able to pick up ABC in the DSM area over the air, so I'm just making sure I have that figured out for football season.

Try a used modem from amazon. I just switched to this one for less than $25, my spweds went up immediately after switching. It saves $7.50 a month.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00O...+surfboard&dpPl=1&dpID=4149XFmqpAL&ref=plSrch

Help Support Us

Become a patron