Chernobyl

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
(a) Great show. That first episode was so intense, and so sad watching those firefighters, etc.

(b) Curious for those that know, I find some of the story to be over dramatized. For example, did they really take the firefighters and plant operators to Moscow? It does not seem like something the Soviets would do. They were goners and a lot of resources were expended for no purpose. I would have preferred they just put me out of my misery. And then the burial scene. A lot of wasted resources as compared to just cremating them. (Not to mention the fact that one concrete mixer would have covered that grave in less than 12 inches, not full).

Was that part real?

(c) Show is worth watching just for the naked coal miners.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

Alswelk

Slightly Radioactive
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 5, 2006
Albuquerque, NM
Burning them just makes any residual radioactive particles in/on them go airborne.

Another interesting tangent, there are actually three individuals in the US buried in a similar manner - the three that were killed during the SL-1 accident up in Idaho. It's super interesting (and a little morbid), look it up.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
for those that like this show, how do you get passed the tremendous tragedy, sadness, and death of it all. I'm attracted to the period look of it all, but really don't need entertainment that is depressing

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
for those that like this show, how do you get passed the tremendous tragedy, sadness, and death of it all. I'm attracted to the period look of it all, but really don't need entertainment that is depressing

I mean, I don't see it as any different than war movies or any other movies or TV shows that depict tragedies. You can be entertained by tragic, sad events portrayed on movies or TV. Plus it's provoking a deeper look into the tragedy for me.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
Burning them just makes any residual radioactive particles in/on them go airborne.

I guess that is my point. USSR certainly wouldn't care about miniscule residual addition of radiation when they ignore the warnings about clearing out a wider perimeter, would they?

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

It's tough because in the show, you're led to believe each and every person dies a horrible radiation sickness death. I'm not sure it's "entertaining" as much as "engaging" maybe because it so firmly entrenched in fact-based history.

• Disagree
Reactions: besserheimerphat

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
It's tough because in the show, you're led to believe each and every person dies a horrible radiation sickness death. I'm not sure it's "entertaining" as much as "engaging" maybe because it so firmly entrenched in fact-based history.
I rated this a disagree because i don't think they led viewers to believe everyone died a gruesome death. They talk repeatedly about the increase in deaths due to things like cancer. Sure, the plant operators and first responders died terrible deaths but most victims won't even know if the accident caused their relatively minor illnesses.

• Agree
Reactions: Halincandenza

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
Another interesting tangent, there are actually three individuals in the US buried in a similar manner - the three that were killed during the SL-1 accident up in Idaho. It's super interesting (and a little morbid), look it up.
I believe Abraham Lincoln is buried in a chunk of concrete due to the number of times people tried to steal his body

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I rated this a disagree because i don't think they led viewers to believe everyone died a gruesome death. They talk repeatedly about the increase in deaths due to things like cancer. Sure, the plant operators and first responders died terrible deaths but most victims won't even know if the accident caused their relatively minor illnesses.

I was thinking about the scene on the bridge where all the residents were watching the fire when the ash came down in slo-mo with ominous music playing.

But I'm good with your take as well.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I made a post about the show on Facebook and a high school classmate asked what channel it's on. Then she said that her family lived near there when it happened - her mom was in the military - and could actually see the smoke from the accident from their house. Her mom died of cancer a couple years ago.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Great show, we have been studying Nuclear Energy in science, so I found a video about Chernobyl on YouTube. I think it was from the BBC.

All 31 firefighters died, most very quickly, and they were all transported to Moscow hospital # 6, their radiation hospital at the time. 28 of them died very quickly and a remaining 3 lingered for a few days before passing.

The helicopter pilots were all recalled from Afghanistan or were on leave, there were 300 including the crews. They interviewed two pilots, and of the 300 crewman there were only 2 were still alive that they knew about. In the show the first helicopter crashed, that did not happen.
He said they flew anywhere from 5 to 6 missions a day, dousing the fire with the sand.

The show stated that well over a 1,000 died, maybe more, we will never know.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
One story of the miners. Reportedly one out of four of Chernobyl’s miners later died of cancer and disease connected to radiation poisoning. Worse yet... the tunnels weren't necessary, nor used:
https://decider.com/2019/05/23/chernobyl-miners-epsiode-3/

Saying the tunnel wasn’t necessary, while technically true in hindsight, isn’t exactly accurate. At the time, nobody had any idea if the burning nuclear fuel would burn through the concrete pad underneath the reactor. If it did, it would get into the groundwater and basically poison the Dnieper River and the Black Sea. In order to try to prevent this from happening, the tunnel needed to be dug. The thinking at the time was that there was a 50-50 chance of the concrete pad getting breeched. You can’t really just sit there and do nothing and hope a coin toss goes your way when it comes to protecting an entire region of Eastern Europe.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

No worse than the daily news and the acting is better. :rolleyes:

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

I have no feelings. It's pretty simple.

*Until you show me one of those god damn surprise military return videos

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
My tangent .... We had potentially flown through the plume (although I don't recall if there was anything detected) and they wanted to de-tox the plane. Which is a great idea since those missions were over 24 hours and the residual fart particles would make your face peel.
Go on...