Can you cook?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Probably the thing I've focused on most during quarantine is cooking.

Still prefer grilling or smoking but am starting to enjoy cooking. Ate so much processed **** growing up because neither of my parents are cooks and I can definitely tell it affected my diet. Would like to make sure my almost 9 month old doesn't go through the same thing.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
I've been trying to get better and cook a ton more these past few years. Huge Indian food fan, and have gotten into making many different dishes. Favorite I've made is a chicken vindaloo with some garlic naan.

Made some kabob's as I've really got into Persian food, as well. And, chicken gyros, which are surprisingly easy!

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Yes I can cook. I like cooking cajun food because it's usually one pot stuff, and low effort after initial prep.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
I prefer baking but I like to cook some. I’ve been working on my own signature spice blend and vegetarian cooking as of late.

Same with the vegetarian cooking. Been using a lot of chickpeas this past year or so as they are very healthy, and extremely versatile. Make a chickpea salad for sandwiches instead of chicken and very tasty.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Yes I can cook. I like cooking cajun food because it's usually one pot stuff, and low effort after initial prep.

You can also throw in essentially anything you like and it still comes out tasting great.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
You can also throw in essentially anything you like and it still comes out tasting great.
Ya if you start with a roux and some basic elements everything turns out great eventually. I don't measure much.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Yes, when I’m not grilling during the summer. Most adventurous I’ve been has been trying out new crock pot recipes in the winter (have made slow cooker beef and broccoli that turned out very well).

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Yes.

my personal favorite is cast iron seared ribeyes topped with shirmp in a herb cream sauce with a side of garlic red mashed potatoes.

Also, homemade creamy chicken n noodle from scratch. Nothing beats farm fresh chickens and hand made egg noodles.

Baking is an area I excel at and enjoy.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
If so, what is your favorite dish to make?

I'm a pretty decent cook, but I don't do it much because I'm lazy. I don't mind the cooking part, it's the cleanup afterward that has me thinking I'll just order Waitr or Grubhub again.

The favorite thing I ever made was a whole beef tenderloin butterflied and stuffed with Gruyere cheese, bread crumbs, peppers and onions. It was cooked to perfection, slightly red on the inside and juicy and just melted in your mouth. The stuffing was excellent as well. It should have been good. The tenderloin alone cost me nearly $100 after tax. And Gruyere cheese is not cheap.

The dish I'm probably best known for is my chili. It's from a recipe made famous by Elizabeth Taylor, when she had some flown into the set of Cleopatra in Italy from a Hollywood restaurant.

On the other hand, the worst dish I ever made was Coq Au Vin. It was only afterward that I found out that it is a French peasant's dish, where they take the old rooster that's too tough for anything else, throw some wine in a pot and boil the piss out of it. The recipe is a little more complicated than that, but I thought it was awful. Too much wine, which I'm not a big fan of, on my chicken to suit me.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
A lot of cold winter weekends I'll whip up soups with no recipe and my wife loves them.

Reactions: oldman

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Yeah, I'm the primary cook in my house. I do it because I enjoy it and @Angie is ****ing terrible at it. I do pretty well with pan sauces. I don't really use recipes, just recipe frameworks that I play around with depending on what we have on hand or what I'm in the mood for.

I dabble in lots of things, and have some dishes that I'm stronger at than others, but nothing that I would call my specialty. Gun to my head, I'd say I make really good enchiladas.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron