Caleb Grill Transferring

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Grill Transferring is a surprise and I wish him the best.

Before we freak out though I am not sure Caleb was even a year away from being a major contributor at ISU. At that point he'd be recruited over (which many demanding JuCo/transfers beeing added would have happened). This year Grill was forced into playing due to the injuries and other freshman transferring out not due to him being ready for B12 play. He may feel more comfortable playing at the non-P6 level that he originally committed to.

I am not giving Prohm a pass though, losing 3 out of 4 recruits in a Freshman class is a huge problem. From identifying, prioritizing and development of the players it is his job to have them ready to fill set role and it didn't happen. I can't believe Jamie will take this attrition lightly and will be using this upcoming season to decide on staying the course or going a new direction. This off season will be the most important of the Prohm tenure, if he doesn't replace this class it will be ending shortly.
I assume this departure is looked at incredibly differently by Jamie than Zion's. You kind of saw the writing on the wall for Zion.. This was a complete shocker.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Grill Transferring is a surprise and I wish him the best.

Before we freak out though I am not sure Caleb was even a year away from being a major contributor at ISU. At that point he'd be recruited over (which many demanding JuCo/transfers beeing added would have happened). This year Grill was forced into playing due to the injuries and other freshman transferring out not due to him being ready for B12 play. He may feel more comfortable playing at the non-P6 level that he originally committed to. There are many reasons Grill may feel ISU isn't a fit for him and he has the right to try some place better for him.

I am not giving Prohm a pass though, losing 3 out of 4 recruits in a Freshman class is a huge problem. From identifying, prioritizing and development of the players it is his job to have them ready to fill set role and it didn't happen. I can't believe Jamie will take this attrition lightly and will be using this upcoming season to decide on staying the course or going a new direction. This off season will be the most important of the Prohm tenure, if he doesn't replace this class it will be ending shortly.

I think the issue becomes sustainability. You can't just keep turning over rosters like this. It feels like we are having to play with an entirely new group every year. Kids like Grill are supposed to help provide continuity. Maybe they don't set the world on fire their first year, and maybe not even their second year, but the contribute over the course of 4 years.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
The difference in the tone of the comments when a white guy transfers out is pretty funny.
giphy.gif

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Like the optimism but considering the current state of things, this is kind of like hoping for all of those 6'10 40% three point shooters that a poster was yearning for a few years ago.
My optimism is diminishing, but I still won't resort to pessimism at the moment. Grill was likely another year away from being a force. He probably would've been able to soak up some minutes and be solid next year, but it still looked like he was a little bit away from truly being a Big 12 contributor.

If Solo, Bolton, Jackson, Conditt would've left or one of the guys in the 2020 class wanted to be released from his LOI (Foster or Blackwell especially), then I would probably lose all hope. Grill leaving stings because he could've ended up being a leader in the future for this program, but as far as production wise we're not losing a tremendous piece.

I know we're obviously in different situations as far as the program goes, but this sort of feels like the Clayton Custer situation. If Prohm is heavily going after guys that are guards / wings that are very likely to compete for his minutes, and then you add in the fact that the 3 out of the 4 2020 class can all play that 3 position as well as Johnson, I can sort of see Grill being intimidated by that and wanting to find a better place to get significant minutes. Custer wasn't going to start because Monte, Naz, and Matt were in front of him.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
My optimism is diminishing, but I still won't resort to pessimism at the moment. Grill was likely another year away from being a force. He probably would've been able to soak up some minutes and be solid next year, but it still looked like he was a little bit away from truly being a Big 12 contributor.

If Solo, Bolton, Jackson, Conditt would've left or one of the guys in the 2020 class wanted to be released from his LOI (Foster or Blackwell especially), then I would probably lose all hope. Grill leaving stings because he could've ended up being a leader in the future for this program, but as far as production wise we're not losing a tremendous piece.

I know we're obviously in different situations as far as the program goes, but this sort of feels like the Clayton Custer situation. If Prohm is heavily going after guys that are guards / wings that are very likely to compete for his minutes, and then you add in the fact that the 3 out of the 4 2020 class can all play that 3 position as well as Johnson, I can sort of see Grill being intimidated by that and wanting to find a better place to get significant minutes. Custer wasn't going to start because Monte, Naz, and Matt were in front of him.

I'd be amazed if you don't wind up losing all hope.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
It’s going to be really hard to land quality guys right now when no one can visit. Next year could be an epic disaster. I’m hoping for a miracle.

• Agree
Reactions: GT25Ump

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It’s going to be really hard to land quality guys right now when no one can visit. Next year could be an epic disaster. I’m hoping for a miracle.
I hadn't even thought about that.. Recruiting just got 10x harder.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Prohm skipped an entire level of DI Basketball and never really had to build anything at Murray. Plus, Murray has the best facilities, resources and tradition BY FAR in the OVC, its an easy job. He was a questionable hire at the time and it looks worse and worse as time goes on.