Brockington draft stock

Cyclones8824

Cyclones nation. Let’s ride
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 16, 2022
Ankeny
Why is no one talking about Izaiah Brockington when it come to mock drafts. Like no one has him going at all. He scores the ball well. He rebounds very well and can knock down a 3 when needed. He of course plays phenomenal defense and is very athletic. How come no teams talk about him. What is needed from him to get him up there I don’t know what all the scouts want

Reactions: cyclones12321

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
That list needs updating. Sharpe from Kentucky is expected to stay after enrolling and riding the pine all season.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Why is no one talking about Izaiah Brockington when it come to mock drafts. Like no one has him going at all. He scores the ball well. He rebounds very well and can knock down a 3 when needed. He of course plays phenomenal defense and is very athletic. How come no teams talk about him. What is needed from him to get him up there I don’t know what all the scouts want
Youth and potential is what the first round usually is. Brock is old in comparison

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

cyc26

Nov 24, 2020

They have him here at 47 to the T-Wolves.

I think with his athleticism, ability to create a shot and score from the mid range, defensive skills and decent 3-pt percentage, he will get drafted.

Either way, he made himself a lot of money this season, even if he doesn't get drafted.

He will surely find himself in a camp/on a summer league team and if he doesn't make a roster somewhere here he can go make a solid living overseas.

cyc26

Nov 24, 2020
I think CW said this on recent pod but he compared him to a smaller DeMar DeRozan. Pretty solid comparison. I think IZB is a few inches shorter but still, that shows his play style can have success in the league.

DeMar is in the convo for MVP and averaging 28 ppg this year.

Reactions: Clonefan32

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It’s hard to know what NBA personnel look for and the draft is a pool of opportunity. Even if say, the T-Wolves wanted to take IB at 47 they could get a trade offer or catch wind of a potential win for an FA before or during the draft. Teams aren’t just drafting guys to play on their team next season, there are a ton of calculations that go in to it.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I wouldn't even want to guess if IB would be drafted or make an NBA roster. Why? Because back in the day, I thought Deandre Kane and Tyrus McGee would both play in the NBA some day. Obviously, that never happened.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
I wouldn't even want to guess if IB would be drafted or make an NBA roster. Why? Because back in the day, I thought Deandre Kane and Tyrus McGee would both play in the NBA some day. Obviously, that never happened.

The knock on Kane was that he was old. He was 23-24. It was ridiculous. Half of the guys drafted are 19 and they arent even contributing that much for a year or two

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

You need inherent NBA value. George’s’ personality and being a team piece is his inherent value. He’s a piece that you can always move. Monte’s inherent value is not turning the ball over and getting the ball to the guys that need it without turning it over.

I think the intricacies of the NBA ecosphere (roster building, future compensation, trade value, etc) are grossly under appreciated by non-NBA fans. NBA excess have to look 5 years out while staying focused on today. “He’s playing really well for one season” doesn’t really do anything for NBA teams. They get paid to predict the future and run salary/roster projections.

Now that is no way saying that a team or teams doesn’t evaluate IB and find the value and draft him. Could easily happen.

cyc26

Nov 24, 2020
Either way, drafted or not, league or not, IZB made himself a ton of money for himself this season. He could go play in Europe and with his competitiveness and skill he will be just fine. There are dudes in Spain making 2M a year, he can do just that.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
ESPN+ has a mock draft out today with only players in the NCAA tournament and Brockington isn't even in their 58 guys drafted:

So given that a third to a half of the first-round guys will come from outside this pool, it doesn't seem like our guy has a lot of traction with draftniks. It didn't seem like Georges and Monte did, either.

I think that there could be a path for him to the NBA via the G League if he can add some distance to his 3pt shooting and improve on his right-handed drives. The dude's athleticism can't be questioned and he's a good rebounder and defender. But few people have an easy path to the league - a lot have to scratch and claw. I hope he gets there because he's been worth the price of admission this year.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
ESPN+ has a mock draft out today with only players in the NCAA tournament and Brockington isn't even in their 58 guys drafted:

So given that a third to a half of the first-round guys will come from outside this pool, it doesn't seem like our guy has a lot of traction with draftniks. It didn't seem like Georges and Monte did, either.

I think that there could be a path for him to the NBA via the G League if he can add some distance to his 3pt shooting and improve on his right-handed drives. The dude's athleticism can't be questioned and he's a good rebounder and defender. But few people have an easy path to the league - a lot have to scratch and claw. I hope he gets there because he's been worth the price of admission this year.
Seems like he crashed back to earth pretty hard after his 35-pt game vs West Virginia. Needs a good tourney run to get back on the mocks.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUcyclones11

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Seems like he crashed back to earth pretty hard after his 35-pt game vs West Virginia. Needs a good tourney run to get back on the mocks.
Or come back to ISU for a year of skills finishing school. I expect IB to test the NBA waters and get scouts feedback on what he needs to work on to get drafted (right hand, 3pt shooting).

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
The knock on Kane was that he was old. He was 23-24. It was ridiculous. Half of the guys drafted are 19 and they arent even contributing that much for a year or two

The knock on Kane was that he was only as good as he was because he was a 24 year old playing against 19-20 year olds, not that he too old to be drafted. If he played a different style it would have had less of an impact but his game was based a lot on bodying up smaller (younger) dudes. A lot of 24 year olds would be really good playing in college.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Or come back to ISU for a year of skills finishing school. I expect IB to test the NBA waters and get scouts feedback on what he needs to work on to get drafted (right hand, 3pt shooting).

He may as well go to the G League or overseas if he can't make an NBA roster another year in college is not going to all the sudden change his draft stock any more than it is now at his age. He turns 23 in July and the NBA just doesn't draft many college seniors anymore let along guys that closer to 25 than they are 20.

Here's a good list of the 2021 draft picks with age next to them: https://www.latimes.com/sports/liveblog/nba-draft-2021-live-updates-picks-analysis

I counted just 12 of 60 picks that were 22 years or older on that list and just 10 where were 21 so nearly 2/3 of the NBA draft last year were players age 20 or younger. That tells you what kind of odds any player would face the older they are. Don't get me wrong I would welcome Brockington back if he wanted to play another year but baring just playing consistently on a much higher level than he does now I don't see much benefit another year of college is going to do for his draft prospects.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone