Bracketology 2024

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina
While getting a 2 seed would be great, I don't think it matters a ton if we end up with a 3 as long as we land in Omaha (which does seem the way most of these are leaning). Very little difference in match ups, the 2-3 would by chalk still play in S16, and the team could use the "slight" of a 3 seed for a bit more motivation.

Hoping we get the 2 but not too broken if it's a 3.
I would also add not getting placed in the East.

Raiders70

Nov 18, 2015
Drake has the same # of Q1 wins as Iowa, even though Iowa has had 11 Q1 chances and Drake has had 4.

Drake is 24-6 and Iowa is 18-12. Drake is 9 spots higher in NET than Iowa.

The committee 100% should (but often doesn't) reward teams like Drake over average P6 teams.
Especially since Power 6 teams for the most part(hate to say it but this includes Iowa State) refuse to play teams like Drake .

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
While getting a 2 seed would be great, I don't think it matters a ton if we end up with a 3 as long as we land in Omaha (which does seem the way most of these are leaning). Very little difference in match ups, the 2-3 would by chalk still play in S16, and the team could use the "slight" of a 3 seed for a bit more motivation.

Hoping we get the 2 but not too broken if it's a 3.
Yeah, an "advantageous 3" in the midwest would be better than a "low 2" out in the East playing UNC/Duke/UConn in their backyards...

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
The Alabama, Illinois, and San Diego St. losses yesterday make it feel like a 3 seed is our floor if we win at least one of the next two.

The Marquette game tonight will play a factor in the 2 vs 3 seed situation. If Marquette beats UConn it feels like they will have a 2 seed locked up. If they lose, particularity by 10 or more, we likely move ahead of them if we can beat BYU.

Agree.

There's a good bit of separation between the last 3 and the 4's (Alabama, Illinois, San Diego St, Auburn).

Marquette, ISU, Baylor, KU, Duke, Creighton all in competition for those final 2 seeds. It would be tough to see any falling to the 4 line though at this point.

Last edited:

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Yep, I welcome the chance to methodically dismember Nebby in front of their home fans (if they can actually get past the first round)
Absolutely, I don't care if it's against the anointed one. We are in a much better spot now than we have been in a very long time having a balanced team with a huge chance for a run. I don't see any teams posing that much of an issue to ISU in that bracket versus a Creighton in MW/East scenario. Bama is a fraud. I think we'd easily be the best team in that region. I think it would actually be a cool storyline where TJ beats one of his mentors and I would like Arizona as the 1 seed over any of the others.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
If it is 8 vs 9 on the s-curve, I agree it doesn't matter much. But if we end up in the same region as the top 2 seed, likely Arizona or Tennessee, that feels a fair bit different than a team like Creighton as a 3 seed. Playing in Omaha likely comes down to finishing ahead of either Kansas or Baylor, but a 2 seed virtually assures that being the case.
I think we're in really good shape for Omaha.
  • I believe we're ahead of Kansas on the S-Curve for sure. And possibly still ahead of Baylor. If we win tonight I'll feel better about being ahead of Baylor
  • Baylor is definitely ahead of Alabama now though. Their closest locale is Memphis, which will have Houston and either Baylor/Alabama (or Auburn, but I don't think they're a threat to pass Baylor at this point). Given Bama's blowout loss at Florida yesterday, I think Baylor is in really good shape to secure Memphis which takes them out of the running for Omaha
At this point, I see us and Kansas in Omaha, with us being the higher seeded team. The one wrench that could be thrown in is if Creighton passes Marquette on the S-Curve AND both Marquette and Kansas finish ahead of us on the S-Curve, then Marquette and Kansas would earn Omaha.

For that to happen, I think we'd need to lose 2 of our next 3 (or all 3) with one being in the B12 tourney, Kansas beats Houston, and Creighton win the Big East tourney. That's unlikely to happen, but you never know...

I should also add, I think right now ISU fans' top priority from a seeding perspective is to stay out of the East region. Which is not as likely as snagging Omaha

Reactions: clone52

clone37

Oct 9, 2010
Yeah, an "advantageous 3" in the midwest would be better than a "low 2" out in the East playing UNC/Duke/UConn in their backyards...
It seems we are essentially battling KU and Baylor for Omaha. 2 of 3 will get to Omaha. If we win tonight and KU loses at Houston this weekend, Omaha should be ours.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Yeah, I definitely underestimated them the last 2 years too!
It’s almost like teams can be different from year to year! Does that mean we score 30 points again in the first round this year!?!