Blind cat

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Our cat is about 16 years old, and lost his sight recently, and would like to hear from people about their experiences with a blind animal, and what we can do to help him. Clyde navigates the house well so far. We have a baby gate at the stairs to the basement where the litter box is. There's a narrow opening between the gate and door jam that allows for cat passage, but prevents the dogs from going down and eating cat turds. o_O
Clyde has been doing well getting through the opening. However I'd like to put a small radio or something that makes a particular noise on the steps to act as a audible landmark for him to find the basement steps. I've read they can be disoriented when they wake up. Anyone have experience with this or know of something better?

Litter box has been a bit of an issue. Clyde is a really big cat. He tends to pee in a manor that's been going up over the side of the litter pan. And it's a high sided pan. I probably just need to lower the level of litter in there so he's not so high in the box, but suggestion away.

He lost his sight over the weekend, so when we returned he had pee'd in a lot of places in the basement furnace room on the concrete. Once we figured out what was happening, it gave me great concern that we might have to euthanize him. Now that he's been to the vet we're figuring things out how to help him.

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
I'm interested in this as well since our dog has been slowly going blind for a while. Our deck has 4 steps down to the backyard and we've noticed a couple times she will go up the steps at an angle and run into the railing where it meets the top step. Over the weekend my better half installed makeshift 2x4 guardrails to hopefully guide her better. He also suggested putting a couple drops of an essential oil on them to help her figure out where they are. Haven't tried it yet but that could be an option for you instead of something that makes noise.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Our cat went blind and she just figured things out. Our vet gave us advice but I don't recall it being much. Don't move furniture.

Reactions: Omaha Cy

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
I'm interested in this as well since our dog has been slowly going blind for a while. Our deck has 4 steps down to the backyard and we've noticed a couple times she will go up the steps at an angle and run into the railing where it meets the top step. Over the weekend my better half installed makeshift 2x4 guardrails to hopefully guide her better. He also suggested putting a couple drops of an essential oil on them to help her figure out where they are. Haven't tried it yet but that could be an option for you instead of something that makes noise.

I'm a tad unsure how good his sense of smell is. I have to put his food under his face for him to find it. However a constant scent in the home at a specific spot might be different than him trying to locate his food immediately on the fly.
With the dogs around, I've always had to feed him in a cat tree. Now we go into the bathroom for food and close the door. My deal with him finding his food may be more about it just not being in the same spot all the time. He does know where the water dish is with no issues though.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
My son lives in a house with other students, as well as a blind cat. She doesn’t have issues really but has been blind for a couple years. His roommate with the blind cat has two other cats, not sure if that helps the blind one. All three cats love hanging out with my son and his cat allergies, that’s how cats roll.

CysDoc

Mar 11, 2009
The bad area of the state.
Generally, speaking blind animals do fine and figure things out on their own. Obviously an adjustment period is needed for such an abrupt change. I've had people not even realize their pet was blind because it was gradual and the pet adjusted well. I think the very specific scent in a certain spot is an interesting idea. I would agree the moving the feeding area is more likely the problem with the food than a loss of smell, that would be extremely rare. Not moving furniture is a good idea too. But even there is needed, not the end of the world just again expect an adjustment period.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
My cat went blind due to high blood pressure, if I remember correctly. She was walking like she was drunk for a few days and I thought she was just getting really old (she was). Turns out she just couldn't see, I felt like crap. Anyway, if you catch this high blood pressure early enough they won't go blind. Once again, I felt like it was my fault but who takes cats to the vet just for the heck of it? She was put down due to other things about a year later but it's a horrible feeling thinking you contributed to something like that.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I feel bad for your kitty! Give him lots of love and snuggles!

One of my walks into things all the time. Or runs, rather.

He can see just fine, though.

cyTOPEia

Nov 25, 2016
Decorah
Try a high sided litter box like (sorry, I have no idea why my links won’t post). You can find some good ones on amazon. I don’t like the two piece litter boxes because if your cat sprays straight back the urine can run through the seam.

I think the essential oil idea as guide posts for the cat is a great idea, just look up what scents cats dislike so you don’t discourage your cat from going to their litter box.

Last edited: