Big East Time ...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Bob Huggins 2006-07 K-State team finished 10-6 in the conference play and did not get an NCAA bid.

Oh this game is fun! OU finished 7-11 last season and 8-10 the season before and got an NCAA bid each season.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Bob Huggins 2006-07 K-State team finished 10-6 in the conference play and did not get an NCAA bid.

I remember that year. Was quite surprised but Big12 wasn't what it was that year as it's been lately.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I remember that year. Was quite surprised but Big12 wasn't what it was that year as it's been lately.
That's my point about Huggins' team being left out. This B12 isn't like it has been the past several years. Even Ku, I have my wonders. Although I've always thought of Self as a recruiter, not and x and o guy. Nova's coach beat him with far less talent. Frankly, I can't remember Self ever winning anything with a less talented team while at Lawrence.

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That's my point about Huggins' team being left out. This B12 isn't like it has been the past several years. Even Ku, I have my wonders. Although I've always thought of Self as a recruiter, not and x and o guy. Nova's coach beat him with far less talent. I can't remember Self ever winning anything with a less talented team at Lawrence.
Self is actually pretty brilliant when it comes to in-game coaching / scenarios. Also, Nova is not a bad team by any means. That game came down to the wire on Nova's home court. This early in the year, that loss is nothing to get upset about for KU.

• Agree
Reactions: heitclone

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
That's my point about Huggins' team being left out. This B12 isn't like it has been the past several years. Even Ku, I have my wonders. Although I've always thought of Self as a recruiter, not and x and o guy. Nova's coach beat him with far less talent. Frankly, I can't remember Self ever winning anything with a less talented team while at Lawrence.
I strongly disagree on Self. How many Big 12 titles has Self won, all while never recruiting at the same level as Duke, Kentucky or even UNC most years. KU unearths and polishes more under-the-radar talents than any other any other blue blood. If anything recruiting is his weakness, since it doesn't seem he can get the big fish without Adidas.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I read somewhere that Self has had 30 teams at one time or another ranked number one in the country. He's won one national championship. Plus, he's crooked as a snake.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I read somewhere that Self has had 30 teams at one time or another ranked number one in the country. He's won one national championship. Plus, he's crooked as a snake.
No doubt he's crooked. But he has a National Title, has another appearance in the National Title, as well as other deep runs in the tournament. The NCAA tournament is so unpredictable. Virginia loses to UMBC two years ago, yet wins the championship last year.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
No doubt he's crooked. But he has a National Title, has another appearance in the National Title, as well as other deep runs in the tournament. The NCAA tournament is so unpredictable. Virginia loses to UMBC two years ago, yet wins the championship last year.
I'll stand by my view that he wins with recruiting, not x's and o's. Nova's coach took Self's game-ending play away Saturday with a defensive maneuver, thoroughly out-coached by Jay Wright.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'll stand by my view that he wins with recruiting, not x's and o's. Nova's coach took Self's game-ending play away Saturday with a defensive maneuver, thoroughly out-coached by Jay Wright.
So because he didn't win against another really really good coach, he's not a good x's and o's guy? Self's concepts on offense are really good, but that doesn't mean they're perfect or that Kansas is going to win every single game.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
So because he didn't win against another really really good coach, he's not a good x's and o's guy? Self's concepts on offense are really good, but that doesn't mean they're perfect or that Kansas is going to win every single game.
You speak with a lot of hyperbole and straw men in that statement. I never suggested he should win every game. I said his dominance of this league has been based on crooked recruiting not x's and o's. And furthermore, Jay Wright showed Saturday that Self is often outcoached.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Self is actually pretty brilliant when it comes to in-game coaching / scenarios. Also, Nova is not a bad team by any means. That game came down to the wire on Nova's home court. This early in the year, that loss is nothing to get upset about for KU.

I know ppl get sensitive around here about these things but plays out of timeouts, in bounds plays and the last 2 minutes of the half, Self is as good as there is in the country. KU is typically a very strong situational basketball team. Crazy how many times they pull away with a run in the last couple of minutes of the first half.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

He got one upped by one of the other top 5 coaches in the country, a sure fire, first ballot HOF coach, one with even more accolades than himself who's team may be the premier team of this decade, on the road, nothing be ashamed of.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO and CycloneErik

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
He got one upped by one of the other top 5 coaches in the country, a sure fire, first ballot HOF coach, one with even more accolades than himself who's team may be the premier team of this decade, on the road, nothing be ashamed of.

Not suggesting shame. Just sayin' there are far better guys with the whiteboard than Self.