Big 12 Basketball last night

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
KU looks like a team that when they put it all together could dominate. They played so sloppy last night with 28 TOs and still almost won the game against Duke.

Really awesome to see Andrew Jones of Texas back and playing well.

Baylor dominated as expected.

KSU looked like they struggled.

Tech and OU look like they have really good Freshman guards in Ramsey and Harmon.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
I noticed Isaiah Moss didn’t play last night for Kansas. Injured or is he just not good enough to get minutes?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
KU looks like a team that when they put it all together could dominate. They played so sloppy last night with 28 TOs and still almost won the game against Duke.
Looking at their shot selection, it looks like they did A LOT of interior damage and handled the glass really well.

• Useful
Reactions: imaclone2

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Kansas shot well when they managed to not give the ball away. They will be really good by January or so. Shocked that they were in it despite 28,000 turnovers.

The two teams with complicated offensive systems (Self, Izzo) lost last night. The two teams with less complicated offensive systems (K, Cal) won. Play those two games again in about 2-3 weeks and I would expect different results in both. It's too early for this type of matchup. Lots of turnovers, fouls and bad shot in both games.

This is why most teams schedule cupcakes early.

• Agree
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Looking at their shot selection, it looks like they did A LOT of interior damage and handled the glass really well.

Yeah, watched the game, when they didn't turn it over they were able to drive on Duke and score in the lane and scored in some transition in the second half.

Seemed like it was the gameplan to just get in the lane and not settle for 3's. Both teams looked a little sloppy but KU looked extra sloppy. Had some really bad unforced TOs.
There was about a 5 or so minute stretch where they didn't turn it over and they took about a ten point lead off a 14-0 run but then promptly started turning it over again.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Kansas shot well when they managed to not give the ball away. They will be really good by January or so. Shocked that they were in it despite 28,000 turnovers.

The two teams with complicated offensive systems (Self, Izzo) lost last night. The two teams with less complicated offensive systems (K, Cal) won. Play those two games again in about 2-3 weeks and I would expect different results in both. It's too early for this type of matchup. Lots of turnovers, fouls and bad shot in both games.

Did you see Michigan States possible schedule. They might end up playing Kentucky, Kansas, and Duke this year in the regular season. Not sure that much is a good thing.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I think MSU is going to have issues scoring this year unless they get Langford back and healthy because I just didn't see anything from their guys that pointed towards them being a good offensive team outside of Winston and Tillman. I think Tillman struggled mainly because of UK's bigs but most teams don't have those kind of athletes at the 4 and 5. And I also think UK is going to struggle in the half court. Maxey was fun to watch though! But I am guessing their backcourt will be able to turn a lot of people over and they will get a ton of easy transition points.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Baylor has the potential of a Final 4 or Elite 8. Teague and Mitchell are big time transfers. Butler is a cold-blooded shooter and Clark teamed with Gillipsie make them tough on the boards.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I was at the K-State game v. NDSU. Going to be a lot of growing pains for this club. At one point there were 3 freshmen on the court with a JUCO transfer.:eek:

Last edited:

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006

Maybe "Moss" will be your answer, but for the parts of the KU game I saw (around ISU game), while KU clearly wants to go inside, it looked like they didn't have anyone willing to shoot a three. Is that an issue for the team?

Again, I only saw parts of the game, but no one on the outside was even looking at taking a shot. Not trolling - just wondering.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Maybe "Moss" will be your answer, but for the parts of the KU game I saw (around ISU game), while KU clearly wants to go inside, it looked like they didn't have anyone willing to shoot a three. Is that an issue for the team?

Again, I only saw parts of the game, but no one on the outside was even looking at taking a shot. Not trolling - just wondering.
No worries, appreciate the normal question. When you are turning it over every other possession, I'd guess it would make a player a little more gun shy to take the lowest percentage shot on the floor.

KU shot the three well in exhibition and will get back to shooting it well with some reps against a few cream puffs. It's all about confidence and KU had no reason to be confident it could even dribble or pass last night. Moss will help but what will help more is simply getting more reps in games and taking care of the ball better..

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I was at the K-State game v. NDSU. Going to be a lot of growing pains for this club. At one point there were 3 freshmen on the court with a JUCO transfer.:eek:
Name a season where Kansas doesn't have three freshmen and a transfer on the floor together at some point. It makes it harder, doesn't it?