BCS/playoff voting

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Who has to vote or agree to a change to the BCS or to start a playoff? I know originally the BCS was made up of the 6 BCS conferences and Notre Dame. Now, the rest of FBS is involved but conference champions don't get automatic bids.

Would the playoff be a new entity or a continuation of the BCS organization? Do all the conferences have to agree or can the power 6 (or maybe just 4 or 5) make their own playoff? Do schools vote or is it by conference?

Just curious as I haven't seen or heard much about this and honestly have no idea how this is structured.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Could be wrong, but I think a lot of the decision lies with the university presidents. Seems like for years they're the ones saying a playoff would interfere with the academic well-being of the student-athletes.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Could be wrong, but I think a lot of the decision lies with the university presidents. Seems like for years they're the ones saying a playoff would interfere with the academic well-being of the student-athletes.

This is probably true as the athletic directors are hired and have to answer to the university presidents. Of course, the decision may ultimately rest with each Board of regents/trustees/curators as the university presidents answer to them.

I'm more curious about the voting structure. Does each university get a vote or each conference get a vote? Are there existing BCS voting rules or is a new organization being formed?

A lot of conference stuff seems to be on hold until these meetings happen. It appears clear to me that the SEC/Big 12 created its new bowl with an eye to these upcoming meetings or else they would have waited. I'm just trying to get a sense of the underlying politics.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron