Ball state added to Schedule

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Ehhh. Really wanted an SEC opponent. Would have liked to get that telephone trophy back.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Seems risky. I think I would rather keep an open date just in case I needed it.

They are a mid level team in the MAC. Maybe a 500 type team. They are pretty well coached just not a ton of talent.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Ball State under their current head coach Mike Neu has gone 2-10, 4-8, and 5-7 with him at the realm. So, you can see a steady increase every year. Last year, they played Indiana and NCST as their non-con, losing 24-34 and 23-34. Their offense was ranked #16 in the country last season, but their defense was ranked #91. In the games they lost, they gave up around 38 points a game.

They bring back their two best offensive players; their QB and their RB. Caleb Huntley, their RB, rushed for 1275 yards, 5.1 ypc, and 12 TD's last year. He's listed as a first team all MAC candidate. Drew Plitt, their QB, threw for 2918 yards, 27 TD's, and 7 INT's. Overall, Ball State is tied for 3rd, along with 2 other teams as far as preseason all-conference selections go.

Here's an article discussing them from the Athletic, in which they're picked to get 3rd on their side of the conference behind Central Michigan and Toledo.
Mike Neu delivered the best year of his four-season stint at his alma mater in 2019. The Cardinals just missed a bowl, finishing 5-7 and losing each of their last three games by four points or less. Neu’s team is poised to take the next step in 2020. The offense led the MAC in scoring (34.8 points a game) and brings back three starters up front, along with quarterback Drew Plitt, receiver Justin Hall and running back Caleb Huntley. In other words, scoring points won’t be a problem in 2020. But getting over the hump and into the postseason will require improvement on defense. Ball State gave up 6.03 yards a play in MAC games last fall and registered only 15 sacks. The potential is there for improvement. This group brings back seven starters, including a pair of standout cornerbacks (Antonio Phillips and Amechi Uzodinma II) and linebacker Jaylin Thomas (97 stops).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron