Back from NYC

CYLIGHT

Dec 29, 2011
Aside from the loss it was the best bowl venue ever, unless you only like booze and a pool/beach. So many great things to do and see ................ what an absolute blast. Last night was a once in a lifetime experience. We really hope we go back to the Pinstripe someday............... BUT in a down year.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Aside from the loss it was the best bowl venue ever, unless you only like booze and a pool/beach. So many great things to do and see ................ what an absolute blast. Last night was a once in a lifetime experience. We really hope we go back to the Pinstripe someday............... BUT in a down year.

Agree. Best trip I've been on in which ISU lost. Very glad we went and would go again in a second. SOOOO much better than shreveport or houston and even better than boise.

Cyclonz

Nov 23, 2009
Denver, CO
I regret not going, ever after the loss. What an experience for the players. The telecast indicated only 5 ISU players had been to NY. What a memory for the players.

cymate

Oct 28, 2011
Ames, the labb
sitting on the plane to head back. probably the best trip of my life, we did so much the game sucked but everything else was awesome so worth the money. weather was amazing too.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

We had a great time. The great location made the sting of the loss a little bit less. We only had 2.5 days of time to explore the city, but we saw a lot. We were certainly lucky with the perfect weather. Didn't have to wear a coat for much of Friday and all of Saturday until Saturday night.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Forgot to add that it was really cool to see Iowa State people everywhere. We didn't go to a place or a show that didn't have at least a couple of Iowa State groups there.

CYLIGHT

Dec 29, 2011
Forgot to add that it was really cool to see Iowa State people everywhere. We didn't go to a place or a show that didn't have at least a couple of Iowa State groups there.
Yep......, Ellis Island, Broadway show, Time Square, Ground Zero, every restaurant, New Years Eve and Cyclones in evryplace!!!!!!!!!! Too cool. Great people. Go CYCLONES

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I barely did anything more than the game because I didn't get in until late Thursday night and left Saturday morning, but I don't regret it at all.

The venue is cool. The Pinstripe Bowl is unfairly criticized because it is in a cold weather location. I guess my only complaint was that it was essentially a Rutgers' home game, but what can you expect when it matches the Big East vs. the Big XII.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Yep......, Ellis Island, Broadway show, Time Square, Ground Zero, every restaurant, New Years Eve and Cyclones in evryplace!!!!!!!!!! Too cool. Great people. Go CYCLONES

It probably shouldn't have shocked me that we saw Iowa State people everywhere....as all 5000 or so of us were likely trying to hit up the same spots, but it did surprise me. Especially at the Broadway show we went to (Memphis on Thursday night!) and at the Rockettes show. And I assume there were Iowa State people like me who didn't wear Iowa State clothing the entire time.

I think we made quite the impression on some New Yorkers. The lady who we talked to on Ellis Island made a comment that she sure had seen a lot of Iowa State people :)

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
Was one of the most incredible trips I've been on!! Spent each night out on the town in just a sweatshirt and the game weather could not have been any more perfect! So much to do and see in that city and I feel like I did everything!

ManofCyience

Nov 22, 2011
Ames
I agree completely with everything everyone is saying. I have only been to Shreveport and Houston outside of this one and the Pinstripe Bowl blows the other two out of the water. You just can't beat New York for a location to visit. I had never been there and walking around seeing everything was amazing. Yankee Stadium is clearly one of the greatest venues in sports and I was very pleasantly surprised at how well it turned into a football stadium. The only real down side to this bowl is the weather, which was great this year. I would love for Iowa State to go back to the Pinstripe Bowl as far as from a tourist not a sports fan point of view. It should be higher in the selection order for the Big XII IMO. The experiences that the players had are just simply not comparable to other bowls. They got to see everything the city had to provide. Great bowl and a great experience.

Also, the game was well attended by Cyclones fans and they were everywhere in New York. On the flight over, our flight attendant asked us where all the Cyclone fans were going. That was on Wednesday, two days before the game, flying from Chicago. Also, the day before the game at a few places we went people asked what all the Cyclone fans were here for and that they didn't realize that Iowa State had so many fans. Cyclones were everywhere. You couldn't go a block without hearing Go Clones or Go State from fellow Cyclones passing you. Great job out of Cyclone Nation.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I agree completely with everything everyone is saying. I have only been to Shreveport and Houston outside of this one and the Pinstripe Bowl blows the other two out of the water. You just can't beat New York for a location to visit. I had never been there and walking around seeing everything was amazing. Yankee Stadium is clearly one of the greatest venues in sports and I was very pleasantly surprised at how well it turned into a football stadium. The only real down side to this bowl is the weather, which was great this year. I would love for Iowa State to go back to the Pinstripe Bowl as far as from a tourist not a sports fan point of view. It should be higher in the selection order for the Big XII IMO. The experiences that the players had are just simply not comparable to other bowls. They got to see everything the city had to provide. Great bowl and a great experience.

Also, the game was well attended by Cyclones fans and they were everywhere in New York. On the flight over, our flight attendant asked us where all the Cyclone fans were going. That was on Wednesday, two days before the game, flying from Chicago. Also, the day before the game at a few places we went people asked what all the Cyclone fans were here for and that they didn't realize that Iowa State had so many fans. Cyclones were everywhere. You couldn't go a block without hearing Go Clones or Go State from fellow Cyclones passing you. Great job out of Cyclone Nation.

Love hearing this. I always liked the smaller cities for bowl games because it feels like the city of Ames migrates to another city. I love seeing a lot of Cyclones fans hundreds of miles away from Iowa in a different state. I wasn't sure if you would get that in a big city like NYC. It sounds like you do! Cyclone Nation Migration.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I thought Insight was a little better than this one, but I really, really enjoyed this experience. New York is a place that I can only take about 4 days of, so it was perfect to be out there for a few days. Got to see a ton of stuff and experience a lot of stuff that I wouldnt have been able to otherwise.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
I had a great time also, except they lost. It was the first bowl trip I had been on, so I dont have anything to compare it to. The only thing I didn't get to do that I really wanted to was to see a show, but oh well, I checked a lot of things off my list! And yes Cyclones everywhere.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I had a great time also, except they lost. It was the first bowl trip I had been on, so I dont have anything to compare it to. The only thing I didn't get to do that I really wanted to was to see a show, but oh well, I checked a lot of things off my list! And yes Cyclones everywhere.

In addition to the quantity of Iowa State fans that seemed to be everywhere, it was notable that there were almost no Rutgers fans until the actual game. I hardly ever saw Rutgers gear being worn except at the game. It was probably because most of their fans were at home and not walking around like us. It resulted in not having the awkward "Iowa State sucks" or "Go [other team]" comments as you walk around.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Amazing trip! Only had 1 day and a half to explore the city (game was half of one day) but still did way more than I could imagine. We saw Madison Square Garden, Times Square, Broadway, 9/11 memorial, Statue of Liberty from the shore, the bull, wall street, New York stock exchange, Rockefeller Center, went on the NBC studios tour, saw David Letterman's studio, saw Yankee Stadium and everything in between! Even met Brett Meyer on the subway after the game (and CW at Tonic sports bar the night before the game but nobody cares about him...:jimlad:). Truly incredible trip and I can't wait to get back to NYC again!

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
Holy **** CysRage, did you even need a hotel room or did you go two days w/o sleep? We had lots of fun, Wife was intimidated at first, but she even settled in once we got going.

As to the lack of RU fans, I have been doing work with some guys from North Jersey and they say there are almost no RU football fans that aren't alumni and/or friends and family. It is such a pro sports area, you are Jets Mets Nets or Giants, Yankees, Knicks, with a few exceptions. These guys (one lives in Hoboken) didn't even know that RU was in a Bowl until I said something a few weeks ago.

P.S. you saw Charles Woodson before the game? Only guy I've heard of with the initials CW:jimlad: