B12 bball "season thread"

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
A little surprised to hear tonight that Fran Frachilla does not have our potential lottery pick Tyrese on his first team All Big 12. Come on, Fran.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
This Bu Tech game is coming right down to the wire. With 6 minutes left anyway

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Baylor's 'great guards' with two TOs in the last minute of regulation. Overtime.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
OT, TT sure didn't get much of a shot off with 6 to play in regulation.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I think the Chris Beard hype train is coming back to the station a little bit this year. Don't get me wrong, it is amazing what he's done to turn the program around, and they will be decent-good-potentially with a few great years sprinkled in, for as long as he's there. But they have had head scratching losses this year, and lost to a Baylor team down 2 key players last night in a pivotal game for them as far as seeding goes. Looking at their roster, he appears to be building it up pretty well for long term success, but this year the results haven't quite been there. They'll be on the 8/9 line would be my guess, while not great, I'd certainly take it. But he's not coaching at this blue blood level that so many people seem to think he is.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I think the Chris Beard hype train is coming back to the station a little bit this year. Don't get me wrong, it is amazing what he's done to turn the program around, and they will be decent-good-potentially with a few great years sprinkled in, for as long as he's there. But they have had head scratching losses this year, and lost to a Baylor team down 2 key players last night in a pivotal game for them as far as seeding goes. Looking at their roster, he appears to be building it up pretty well for long term success, but this year the results haven't quite been there. They'll be on the 8/9 line would be my guess, while not great, I'd certainly take it. But he's not coaching at this blue blood level that so many people seem to think he is.

I don't agree at all. Look at what they lost from last year's team( 6 of their top 8) and they will be back in the tournament with a lot of young guys playing a lot of minutes. Ramsey, McCullar, Shannon, Nadolny, Edwards all freshman and sophomores. He brings in maybe the best recruiting class or second best in the Big 12 next year and with his success in landing good grad transfers I imagine he will land one or two of those as well. It looks like they could finish tied for 3rd in conference. Now, take a look at what Weber's team is doing. The other team that finished tied for 1st last year is at the bottom of the conference.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I didn't catch the end of the game but Baylor looked like they've lost their mo-jo especially defensively.

They actually played really well defensively in the second half and in OT. But it hurts not having Vital in there. He is a beast on defense and on the boards.

• Agree

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
This TTU team lost a ton from last year. Their go to guy is a true freshman and 75% of their team is playing their first year together as most guys are newcomers or transfers. I'm not surprised they've taken a step back honestly.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I don't agree at all. Look at what they lost from last year's team( 6 of their top 8) and they will be back in the tournament with a lot of young guys playing a lot of minutes. Ramsey, McCullar, Shannon, Nadolny, Edwards all freshman and sophomores. He brings in maybe the best recruiting class or second best in the Big 12 next year and with his success in landing good grad transfers I imagine he will land one or two of those as well. It looks like they could finish tied for 3rd in conference. Now, take a look at what Weber's team is doing. The other team that finished tied for 1st last year is at the bottom of the conference.
I agree they lost a big chunk of that NCG runner up team, but even though they're on the young side they have the talent to be doing better. Chris Clarke was a top Grad transfer, and Holyfield has been good too. This team isn't set up a whole lot different than last years, they just haven't had the breaks go their way I guess. They haven't taken advantage of the conference being as down as it is. Sure they could finish 3rd, but they are a far cry from the 2nd and 1st teams in the conference with some losses to some bad conference teams. I'm just thinking maybe people ought to pump the brakes a bit on him, that's all. Acquiring talent is one thing, let's see if he can sustain it now. Maybe he and Prohm aren't too different, aside from one being a great defensive coach and one being a good offensive coach.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I think what he’s done this year is almost as impressive as last. He lost nearly everyone, has a young team and they are still easily in the tournament and 3rd in the Big 12. Tech next fall will easily be a preseason top 10 team with what they return.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I think what he’s done this year is almost as impressive as last. He lost nearly everyone, has a young team and they are still easily in the tournament and 3rd in the Big 12. Tech next fall will easily be a preseason top 10 team with what they return.
They're good, I'm not saying that. I just don't think it's as impressive by a long shot. They are really average this year, they could be on the 4/5 line, but they are on the 8/9

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I agree they lost a big chunk of that NCG runner up team, but even though they're on the young side they have the talent to be doing better. Chris Clarke was a top Grad transfer, and Holyfield has been good too. This team isn't set up a whole lot different than last years, they just haven't had the breaks go their way I guess. They haven't taken advantage of the conference being as down as it is. Sure they could finish 3rd, but they are a far cry from the 2nd and 1st teams in the conference with some losses to some bad conference teams. I'm just thinking maybe people ought to pump the brakes a bit on him, that's all. Acquiring talent is one thing, let's see if he can sustain it now. Maybe he and Prohm aren't too different, aside from one being a great defensive coach and one being a good offensive coach.
They did lose Matt Mooney who was probably one of the best, if not THE best role player in the nation last year, as well as a lottery pick that could score any way he wanted to.

• Agree

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
The hype over Beard wasn't just that he was as good as Weber; no sense comparing the two of them.