Audi Crooks

CloneSt8

Aug 1, 2011
There is a video of the entire Bishop Garrigan vs Hopkins Minnesota game on YouTube for those interested in seeing Audi Crooks other than in highlights. Hopkins of course is the large school Minnesota team that produces Division 1 players year after year. And Bishop Garrigan is an Iowa small school team. So a mismatch in the talent pool because of school size just like when Lexi Donarski's Aquinas team player Hopkins a couple years. I just started watching but Audi seems to get up and down the floor well. Had one basket so far, some nice passes out of the post and swished a couple free throws.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Audi looked good. Tough matchup for the Bishop Garrigan guards. Hopkins’ guards are big and quick.

CloneSt8

Aug 1, 2011
Audi looked good. Tough matchup for the Bishop Garrigan guards. Hopkins’ guards are big and quick.
What I have noticed is the difference in team size. Four of the five for Bishop seem minuscule compared to Hopkins. Hopkins has one guard that is about the size of the Bishop players.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
What I have noticed is the difference in team size. Four of the five for Bishop seem minuscule compared to Hopkins. Hopkins has one guard that is about the size of the Bishop players.
I watched the first half and the defense is still a concern there for me. Watch the drive at around 9:05 left in the first half. Girl gets a dump pass in and she just looks at her. Most drives she did not even make a step out, would just raise her hand. She takes her breaks on D.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
After watching Soares this yr it will be a step back, hopefully she grows and improves every yr.

Reactions: geewago

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I think her lack of mobility on defense is intentional. Especially in a game like that one where she plays the whole game and is also needed to help out on the press break. Because of that, she'll probably be a bit of a project on that end, both physically and mentally.

But watching a full game rather than highlights, I am also impressed. Her skills are better than I realized, including ball handling and her footwork. She's not just scoring only because she's bigger and stronger than everyone else. And she does move pretty well when necessary, it just isn't constant over the course of the game.

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
Probably going to get some hate on this, but I was kind of thinking if she comes in and gets with the strength, conditioning and could get her body more ready for the college game, she could be our version of Monika Czinano.
at this point I think she is a good passer and is really strong, but every team in the Big12 is going to block her shot unless she really learns to use her body to seal, etc. She is going to have to get quicker also.
right now nobody in iowa class 2a is going to have an answer for her, which is why I think people are second guessing her rating (nobody in 2a has someone this size). I hope she comes in and tears it up, but she has work to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyhobby

CloneSt8

Aug 1, 2011
Yes, she is stationary on defense. But I take that to be what she is coached to do (could be wrong). But she has some basic skills: great soft hands and shot, runs smoothly, and can dribble the ball!

I look back at Morgan Kane as a Freshman and did not think she would ever contribute. Now she is one of my favorites because of how she has worked to develop herself.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Probably going to get some hate on this, but I was kind of thinking if she comes in and gets with the strength, conditioning and could get her body more ready for the college game, she could be our version of Monika Czinano.
at this point I think she is a good passer and is really strong, but every team in the Big12 is going to block her shot unless she really learns to use her body to seal, etc. She is going to have to get quicker also.
right now nobody in iowa class 2a is going to have an answer for her, which is why I think people are second guessing her rating (nobody in 2a has someone this size). I hope she comes in and tears it up, but she has work to do.
Her rank is based on AAU ball and not 2A high school ball.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I watched the first half and the defense is still a concern there for me. Watch the drive at around 9:05 left in the first half. Girl gets a dump pass in and she just looks at her. Most drives she did not even make a step out, would just raise her hand. She takes her breaks on D.
If anyone has ever tried to coach a young kid, getting them to *just* raise their hand is impossible.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
2a? Garrigan is a smaller 1A

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I’ve always assumed the defensive strategy with her was designed to keep her out of foul trouble. I don’t think it’s an effort or even quickness thing.
Agreed. Letting a girl more or less go free is still never going to outscore her. It's to keep her on the floor.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
She will fit right in then.

:jimlad:

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
I thought I had read somewhere that Hopkins has 3 D1 recruits on that team.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
So its like Waukee or Valley Playing them. ugh...
I actually surprised they matched them up.

They've played a "big class" school each of the last 3 years.

Valley in 20-21 (lost by 4 at Valley)
IC West last year (lost by 10 at "Rivalry Saturday" opening tourney at Kirkwood)
Hopkins this year in the season opener

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron