Arches NP vs. Zion NP

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
This thread is well timed. I was actually going to past to see if anybody had any advice about Arches / Canyonlands / Dead Horse State Park.

I'm Spending ~3.5 days there before Thanksgiving so hopefully crowds won't be an issue (assuming I don't freeze while hiking).

Looks like any choice out there is a good choice.

lakewoodcy

Mar 23, 2010
This thread is well timed. I was actually going to past to see if anybody had any advice about Arches / Canyonlands / Dead Horse State Park.

I'm Spending ~3.5 days there before Thanksgiving so hopefully crowds won't be an issue (assuming I don't freeze while hiking).

Looks like any choice out there is a good choice.

My wife and I visited all 5 NPs in March of 2016. We wanted to avoid any heat. We live in OK. Flew to Denver, rented a car and drove to the west side of UT to start out at Zion and over the next 8 days made our way east to each of the five parks. Took the state highways between parks - not I-70. Great scenery on those drives.

We spent 2 days at Zion. Really liked it, but didn't do the Angels Landing hike. Weren't sure we were physically up to it. We liked Bryce even more. Stayed there about 3 days, and hiked the amphitheater. Incredible photography ops there. Not only does it have the hoodoos, but extensive pine forest.

We also spent a great day at the Arches NP, and may have liked it best. Took an incredible hike over rock ridge tops to see arch formations further off road. Great sunset views.

Those were our favorites, but all five were unique in some way and worth the visit.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
The drive from Arches to Mess Verde is great, with a stop in Canyonlands.

Zion, Bryce, and Grand Canyon in early fall is another great trip

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
Canyonlands was my favorite. We did an excursion from Arches where we repelled down waterfalls, hiked, did a dual repel from the top of an arch. A ton more hiking and then inflated packrafts on the Colorado river and did some rapids for a few hours. A very real vacation. Whatever you do, you will have a blast!

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Spent a few weeks in St George Utah for work and was able to hit Zion on one of the weekends. Beautiful park, a definite must see in my opinion.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron