Apple slowing down devices...

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
I just hate Android OS and the idea of Google having more of your info...uggghh!

Google is way too cozy with the NSA & the US Gov...and they've admitted they mine data as well. I don't like any company or organization having that much info / power. And their relationship with the Gov means they're going to have a lot more power / leeway than they should.

That said, I'm sick of Apple's $1000 phones that 2 years out turn into hot garbage as far as performance. I've got a 6S+ that's slowed down & dragged now for 4-6 months...which I'm now sure is 100% Apple. The reality is there's no reason to upgrade to 8+ because before Apple '********' my phone it did everything I needed more than quickly enough.

I actually liked my old Microsoft phone...but they've pretty much abandoned that product and no developers are putting out apps for it...not even the basic ones. : (

They have the same architecture as Android and there was talk of MS using Android apps on their OS...but that has died as well. Heck they were even saying you could run WP10 on any Android hardware. That would have been huge as there are a lot of great Andriod phones & WP10 kicked ass. Hopefully SurfacePhone will come into being soon.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Smart phones and smart phone companies are the devil.

They have the technology to do all of these things but yet are only set up to last for about two-three years.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I think we're at the point where it's dumb to spend over $400 for a phone. The changes from year to year are now so small and some of the changes are actually negatives.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneG

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I just hate Android OS and the idea of Google having more of your info...uggghh!

Google is way too cozy with the NSA & the US Gov...and they've admitted they mine data as well. I don't like any company or organization having that much info / power. And their relationship with the Gov means they're going to have a lot more power / leeway than they should.

That said, I'm sick of Apple's $1000 phones that 2 years out turn into hot garbage as far as performance. I've got a 6S+ that's slowed down & dragged now for 4-6 months...which I'm now sure is 100% Apple. The reality is there's no reason to upgrade to 8+ because before Apple '********' my phone it did everything I needed more than quickly enough.

I actually liked my old Microsoft phone...but they've pretty much abandoned that product and no developers are putting out apps for it...not even the basic ones. : (

They have the same architecture as Android and there was talk of MS using Android apps on their OS...but that has died as well. Heck they were even saying you could run WP10 on any Android hardware. That would have been huge as there are a lot of great Andriod phones & WP10 kicked ass. Hopefully SurfacePhone will come into being soon.
f07.jpg

Playboi Carti

May 7, 2017
Yep. Slow phone = people upgrading to a new one.

I hate to get into the Android vs. Apple fanboy wars, but there is a reason why Apple does not let you change your own battery, add additional storage to your device, and even control the look of the home screen and other features (although this one has changed recently).

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 which is about 4 years old and still gets regular updates, has 64GB of storage (and I could add more), and can do just about anything a newer phone can do (and more, in some instances). Why people continue being willingly limited by Apple is beyond me.
I have the iphone 7 right now and it's probably the last iphone I'm going to get. Every year they come out with a new phone and the price continues to go up. I can't even use headphones on my apple laptop without buying a damn adaptor because they decided **** the headphone jack. Apple is just a giant money grab.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I think we're at the point where it's dumb to spend over $400 for a phone. The changes from year to year are now so small and some of the changes are actually negatives.
My phone costs more than my actual computers, it's absolutely outrageous. I can't believe we reached the point that a cell phone costs $1,000. The only reason I got mine (Note 8) is because I got it half-off.

Reactions: xr4ticlone

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Yep. Slow phone = people upgrading to a new one.

I hate to get into the Android vs. Apple fanboy wars, but there is a reason why Apple does not let you change your own battery, add additional storage to your device, and even control the look of the home screen and other features (although this one has changed recently).

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 which is about 4 years old and still gets regular updates, has 64GB of storage (and I could add more), and can do just about anything a newer phone can do (and more, in some instances). Why people continue being willingly limited by Apple is beyond me.

You can change the battery yourself. Just did mine about a month ago and made a huge difference.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

I say this but next year at this time I'll probably be spending $800 to buy a Pixel 3 XL to replace my Pixel 1 XL, which will probably still be running fine.I'm part of the problem......

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
http://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...-targeting/?src=socialflowTW&src=socialflowTW

Just an example of some of the things going on out there...

Over 250 apps available across the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store were programmed to be able to listen for audio through a phone's microphone, according to a report from The New York Times. Using code from a company called Alphonso, the apps would listen for audio from television shows or ads to more precisely target advertisements after displaying a warning message.

Spam

May 21, 2008
I am surprised it took this long for Apple to run into a problem relating to consumer trust.

Tony

May 1, 2013
Ankeny, IA
Just in case someone else has this problem, I have a three year old iPhone 6 and the battery was having issues, losing charge quickly, shutting off randomly, eventually the phone just wouldn't charge so took it to the Apple Store and they said they couldn't determine if it was the battery or other hardware and wouldn't change the battery, even though I said I would risk the $80 to try it. They said my only option was to trade it in and get the same thing for $300, I said no thanks. Took it to Batteries Plus Bulbs in Ankeny and they replaced the battery for $64 after tax and the phone works perfectly. Very disappointed with the Apple Store.