Ames urbanization and densification

Cypow

Apr 27, 2020
Wanted to hear some thoughts and opinions on population growth and densification in Ames.

Ames is seemingly a town with many centers. Campustown has become the most "urban" feeling of Ames' neighborhoods, and downtown often feels neglected (aside from Main Street). While looking at other college towns like Iowa City, Ames is obviously less dense and more sprawly than similarly-sized towns (like Iowa City).

Once development starts up again, where would you like to see the focus of real estate development?

Downtown? Focusing on filling in parking lots and building along Lincoln Way just south of Main Street.

Campustown? Continue the push for a real urban-feeling neighborhood in Ames.

Elsewhere? Infill with apartments where space is available. Perhaps around the Iowa State Center if the hotel and Entertainment District is eventually built. Build more apartments along Lincoln Way between downtown and campus.

Expand the suburban sprawl? I doubt many people want this but thought I'd ask regardless.

Other opinions?

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
Came back for the first time in a long time with a family and a different perspective. The eastern part of Lincoln way & Duff Ave is not very appealing.

• Agree
Reactions: Turn2 and Angie

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Staying in Somerset tonight actually. Kinda pissed Walabys doesn’t do take out tonight. Hopefully just cuz their too busy. Ordered Jeff’s. Cheese sticks were good but man, no Gumby’s (RIP).

• Winner
Reactions: Cytown12

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Ames as a dense urban environment.

That is the lead joke for my next set,

"Ames = KC,

Davenport = Chicago,

DM = Manhattan!" Killer,....thanks.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
South Duff could be a good location for a fast food joint. Maybe a mattress store?
3QeZ.gif

Cytown12

Mar 11, 2012
Des Moines,IA
Staying in Somerset tonight actually. Kinda pissed Walabys doesn’t do take out tonight. Hopefully just cuz their too busy. Ordered Jeff’s. Cheese sticks were good but man, no Gumby’s (RIP).
What I would do to have a pokey sticks right. Yum!

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I think it'd be great to develop the main street are more. But if you take even 1 parking spot away. Or make people walk an extra 30 steps. Obese and lazy America will RIOT

People lost their **** when the parking meters downtown went to $1/hr.

Reactions: Angie

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Wanted to hear some thoughts and opinions on population growth and densification in Ames.

Ames is seemingly a town with many centers. Campustown has become the most "urban" feeling of Ames' neighborhoods, and downtown often feels neglected (aside from Main Street). While looking at other college towns like Iowa City, Ames is obviously less dense and more sprawly than similarly-sized towns (like Iowa City).

Once development starts up again, where would you like to see the focus of real estate development?

Downtown? Focusing on filling in parking lots and building along Lincoln Way just south of Main Street.

Campustown? Continue the push for a real urban-feeling neighborhood in Ames.

Elsewhere? Infill with apartments where space is available. Perhaps around the Iowa State Center if the hotel and Entertainment District is eventually built. Build more apartments along Lincoln Way between downtown and campus.

Expand the suburban sprawl? I doubt many people want this but thought I'd ask regardless.

Other opinions?

What's your agenda? Seems like nearly all your posts are about development in Ames, sometimes with an odd twist. For instance, there can't be very many of us that are truly interested in an in-depth discussion about Ames urban development right now, given Covid-19, the economic mess, Jamie Pollard saying once again that there may be no fans at football games, and the fact that large sections of Ames still don't have power after the storm.

Are you a developer? Investor in the Lincoln Way project? Are you anti-development of certain types? I'm interested in why you are so interested.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I think it'd be great to develop the main street are more. But if you take even 1 parking spot away. Or make people walk an extra 30 steps. Obese and lazy America will RIOT

The problem is that Main Street gets so much of the money and attention from the city, but it is not an area that about 90% of the population of Ames visits (or at least needs to visit). I enjoy the little boutiques and shops, and get my hair done down there. But it is sort of like Campustown - more of a pain than it is worth most of the time.

• Agree
Reactions: hlb76 and cycloneG

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron