Ames Tribune and DSM Register

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I see travis hines’ article is on the register webpage. Does Ganett now own the tribune?

• Dislike
Reactions: dirtyninety

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
One would think there wouldn’t be room for tommy, Randy, and Travis in the sports department.

I didn't realize they merged. Yeah, I cant imagine they let the 3 of them continue to cover ISU.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
It is going to be interesting to see how Gannett handles this. They now own some of the biggest news papers as well as some small town papers.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
It is going to be interesting to see how Gannett handles this. They now own some of the biggest news papers as well as some small town papers.

Things never seen to get better after these acquisitions and Gannett has bled the Register for decades, so I'll just assume the answer is: badly.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Things never seen to get better after these acquisitions and Gannett has bled the Register for decades, so I'll just assume the answer is: badly.
They could do some good things, like put small town stories in the Register and provide good coverage to the small towns. It wont happen since mega companies like this don't seem to get it.

• Agree
Reactions: dirtyninety

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
One would think there wouldn’t be room for tommy, Randy, and Travis in the sports department.

I certainly don't want to see anyone lose their job, and I appreciate their efforts reporting on Iowa State, but I've always found it interesting the number of different people from different organizations that get sent to events. During football season Campbell will give a quote and then I see the same quote tweeted out by about 5 different reporters who are present. It's always just struck me is a little ridiculous someone is footing the bill for that many different people to go down and report on the same thing.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Some of you are falling behind. ;)

Gannett is no longer the top dog. They were acquired by Gatehouse Media during the latter half of last year.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...-media-new-media-investment-group/1902550001/

It is hard to know how much time and analysis goes into these decision from afar, but if Ames as a community still supports the Register, then I would assume they wouldn't cannibalize themselves and not continue to offer unique Hines article in the Ames Trib only. If that isn't the case, then I assume they will eventually offer Randy Pete an early retirement package sometime down the road.

<edit> now that I've read the entire article I posted, I see that the merged companies will use the Gannett name.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Some of you are falling behind. ;)

Gannett is no longer the top dog. They were acquired by Gatehouse Media during the latter half of last year.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...-media-new-media-investment-group/1902550001/

It is hard to know how much time and analysis goes into these decision from afar, but if Ames as a community still supports the Register, then I would assume they wouldn't cannibalize themselves and not continue to offer unique Hines article in the Ames Trib only. If that isn't the case, then I assume they will eventually offer Randy Pete an early retirement package sometime down the road.

<edit> now that I've read the entire article I posted, I see that the merged companies will use the Gannett name.

That news was linked above. Post #4.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Tommy isn't much better.

My comment wasn't so much on quality of writing as the real business decisions. Randy is much older and I am assuming much more expensive (although it's not like they are making huge bucks). Add in everything else that Tommy covers and he is much more diverse and better set up for the future than Randy is.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I certainly don't want to see anyone lose their job, and I appreciate their efforts reporting on Iowa State, but I've always found it interesting the number of different people from different organizations that get sent to events. During football season Campbell will give a quote and then I see the same quote tweeted out by about 5 different reporters who are present. It's always just struck me is a little ridiculous someone is footing the bill for that many different people to go down and report on the same thing.

Agree (i've thought the same). When I would see both Hines and Randy go to an away game, that is real money (flights, hotel, meals, etc) which would seem to be hard to justify if they now have access to all content.

i've heard there is a value to the relationship building/access (when I asked a journalist friend about how to justify the cost vs output of content) but if i were the number cruncher in charge of spending at a media outlet, would be hard to justify.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Agree (i've thought the same). When I would see both Hines and Randy go to an away game, that is real money (flights, hotel, meals, etc) which would seem to be hard to justify if they now have access to all content.

i've heard there is a value to the relationship building/access (when I asked a journalist friend about how to justify the cost vs output of content) but if i were the number cruncher in charge of spending at a media outlet, would be hard to justify.

Speaking of which, I noticed that they haven't been sending Tommy along with Randy to cover away basketball games for two years now. Tommy also did not go to Orlando to cover the bowl game. Travis didn't go to any away football games this year, but they sent another Ames Tribune guy in his place. Curious if those decisions had to do with budget cuts (especially with the Register).

Reactions: CapnCy