[Added Jason Essex] 2022 Class Breakdown

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
We’ll see. The only true freshman WR to have a huge impact in the Campbell era was DeShaunte.

I assume Noel & Shaw will be our top two guys, but we’ll need someone else to step up. Whether that’s EZ Anderson, DJ, etc.

Don’t think we’ll have a Hutchinson type on next years roster.

ClonesInDallas

Dec 16, 2020
We’ll see. The only true freshman WR to have a huge impact in the Campbell era was DeShaunte.

I assume Noel & Shaw will be our top two guys, but we’ll need someone else to step up. Whether that’s EZ Anderson, DJ, etc.

It would be a huge help to Hunter if we could strike gold in the JUCO/transfer route like we did with X a couple years ago. I'm not concerned about Hunter's ability so much as I am in the pass catching targets he's going to have next year. For a team that is already limited in its separation ability, losing its top 2 targets in X and Kolar is going to be tough.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclone1209

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013

Noel is an M. I think Daniel Jackson and/or Tarique Milton are the candidates for the starting job, but I wouldn't put Gaines out of the running.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
It would be a huge help to Hunter if we could strike gold in the JUCO/transfer route like we did with X a couple years ago. I'm not concerned about Hunter's ability so much as I am in the pass catching targets he's going to have next year. For a team that is already limited in its separation ability, losing its top 2 targets in X and Kolar is going to be tough.
Hunter allows us to utilize a different type of receiver than with Brock. Campbell has been getting guys that would be considered M receivers. Next year with a strong armed tall QB I think we're going to see formations featuring multiple elite athletic smaller receivers.

I thinking we'll see packages that feature Dean, Shaw, Noel and Townsend for example.

CaptainClutch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 1, 2014

If Shaw is our 1 or 2 we are in trouble next year. Dude just disappears for games at a time. I think Campbell will pickup a transfer or 2 to come in and play

Reactions: Cyclone2daBoneIndy

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Noel is an M. I think Daniel Jackson and/or Tarique Milton are the candidates for the starting job, but I wouldn't put Gaines out of the running.
I know. I was talking our top two WR, not just outside.

Not sure if Milton will come back for a 6th year for sure otherwise I believe as of today we’d see Shaw, Noel & Milton as the starting 3.

I strongly believe we need to dip into the portal or JUCO market.

Gaines is a good prospect and will be in the running, but not sure if we want to bank on that in 2022.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Why are outside receivers such a hole in the roster. Is it recruiting or lack of development? The glaring lack of depth here seems multiplied when you look at the depth everywhere else with the same level recruits coming in.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Why are outside receivers such a hole in the roster. Is it recruiting or lack of development? The glaring lack of depth here seems multiplied when you look at the depth everywhere else with the same level recruits coming in.
Probably a mix of both.

We’ve had some high level recruits come in on the outside (Scates, Daniel Jackson, etc) but they just have not produced at a high level yet for whatever reason.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Probably a mix of both.

We’ve had some high level recruits come in on the outside (Scates, Daniel Jackson, etc) but they just have not produced at a high level yet for whatever reason.
Running game coordinator that coaches RBs AND WRs. Seems like we're stretching someone a bit thin.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Name: Gabe Burkle
Position: TE
Height: 6'7"
Weight: 240lb
Other Measurables:
NCAA Football 14 Freshman:
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 86
Player Comparison: Dylan Soehner
Significant Impact: RS So. This really depends on how long Jared Rus stays and if he is ready to go.
Attributes: [stretch]
Areas of Improvement: Speed and route running. He is not a receiving threat yet and will need to become a threat in order to see the field. He has trouble separating in high school.
Thoughts:
Many have compared Gabe Burkle to Dylan Soehner and to be honest, it is a great comparison. He has a very similar skill set and limitations as Dylan Soehner had. Burkle will be the man to fill the F spot once Jared Rus leaves.
The hope would be that he can develop to be a passing threat so we don't have a wasted target on the field for the passing downs. If he gains speed and the ability to run routes, he could be very dangerous, but that will take a couple offseasons to make that a strength.
His highschool team doesn't use him in the passing game very much; he is mainly used as a decoy for to free up another receiver (The QB won't even look his way).
To be honest, there is really not too much more to say about Gabe. He's perfect for the F.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
A dedicated WR coach. Makes sense. But then again, so does a special teams coach.
Difference is you can recruit a kicker/punter/long snapper that is ready to go, it's a bit more difficult to sign an elite WR that's day one ready for P5 football.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
Difference is you can recruit a kicker/punter/long snapper that is ready to go, it's a bit more difficult to sign an elite WR that's day one ready for P5 football.

I was agreeing with your point. And I understand that there can only be so many coaches, so something has to give.

That said, when was the last time ISU recruited a punter or kicker that was ready to go? The level of players ISU gets in every position will need coaching.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Name: Deylin Hasert
Position: OT
Height: 6'5"
Weight: 290lb
Other Measurables:
NCAA Football 14 Freshman:
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 93
Player Comparison: Tyron Smith
Significant Impact: RS Fr. I am aware that we have some depth, but guys are going to start leave after his true freshman season.
Attributes: [Mauler]
Areas of Improvement: Cut a little bit of bad weight off of him and put on ten more pounds of muscle.
Thoughts:
When you watch offense line tape, it is easy to think that a guy should be a five star based on his ability to pancake little children. I can't tell you how many hudl tapes there are of high school tackles pancaking people for eight minutes and then they show up on campus somewhere and can't play a lick.
I believe that the o-line position is the hardest to scout. Every year, we seen 2 star lineman drafted in the first round and five star guys totally flame out their first year. It's such a crap shoot if you are going to base the ability of the lineman on their ability to move men. Yes, that is part of being a lineman, but it is much more about leverage than strength.
Deylin Hasert may be one of the best lineman that ISU has recruited since I have been a fan. You can see his hudl tape of his ANNIHILATING kids, but instead of using brute strength, he is using a combination of strength, leverage and athleticism.
He may be the most athletic lineman that we have landed since I've followed recruiting.
If you were to ask me which recruits are you most excited about in the 2022 class, Deylin Hasert would be on the top 5 list. I think he will get a great chance to make a big impact on this team. Landing him was a huge deal. HUGE.
You should be excited as well. Go check out his senior tape on Hudl.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Name: R Mason Thomas
Position: Edge
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 215lb
Other Measurables: Played RB, runs track
NCAA Football 14 Freshman: 73
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 97
Player Comparison: Will McDonald/Micah Parsons
Significant Impact: RS Fr. We will not have pass rusher like him on the roster. We will use him a lot in those situations.
Attributes: [Freak]
Areas of Improvement: Need a lot more weight/muscle to be an every down guy. His hand placement and separation when engaging the offensive tackle; he relies on raw talent and speed to beat guys and he will need to use more tools to beat P5 competition.
Thoughts:
When most fans think about this class, they will likely think about Hunter Deyo, Greg Gaines, Rocco Becht and other instate guys, rightfully so. Those guys are the highlights, the big names, the close-to-home guys. Here is one of those "Who's that?" kind of guys. You know, the kind of guy when you're watching the game with your Pop and he asks "Who's that guy? Never seen him before. Where's he been?" You know what I'm talking about.
Thomas is one of those guys.
Thomas has one of the fastest first steps I have seen from an ISU recruit. And he covers A LOT of ground shortly after the snap.
He is very similar to Will McDonald and Micah Parsons because out of high school, both players were perceived as tweeners and recruited for both LB and Edge; especially Parsons. South Carolina wanted Thomas as a linebacker/Von Miller type. I know other Power Fives viewed him this way.
He would have double the sacks, but his team is so good that others, including another ISU prospect Ahmad Moten, take A LOT of the sacks away from him.
Now to address something that you saw in this post and went "ehhh, that may not be correct." I rated his Rating Potential as "97" because I believe that is his high end. I think he is one of those guys who is either going to be solid or the best player on the team. His speed is SO FAST and plays with so much athleticism that if he figures it out in college, he's going to be near unguardable.
97 is the highest I have given a recruit since doing these recruiting reports and it likely will be the highest I give this year.
R Mason Thomas is a freak.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
Significant Impact: RS Fr. We will not have pass rusher like him on the roster. We will use him a lot in those situations.
Areas of Improvement: Need a lot more weight/muscle to be an every down guy. His hand placement and separation when engaging the offensive tackle; he relies on raw talent and speed to beat guys and he will need to use more tools to beat P5 competition.
Thoughts:
When most fans think about this class, they will likely think about Hunter Deyo, Greg Gaines, Rocco Becht and other instate guys, rightfully so. Those guys are the highlights, the big names, the close-to-home guys. Here is one of those "Who's that?" kind of guys. You know, the kind of guy when you're watching the game with your Pop and he asks "Who's that guy? Never seen him before. Where's he been?" You know what I'm talking about.
Thomas has one of the fastest first steps I have seen from an ISU recruit. And he covers A LOT of ground shortly after the snap.
He is very similar to Will McDonald and Micah Parsons because out of high school, both players were perceived as tweeners and recruited for both LB and Edge; especially Parsons. South Carolina wanted Thomas as a linebacker/Von Miller type. I know other Power Fives viewed him this way.
He would have double the sacks, but his team is so good that others, including another ISU prospect Ahmad Moten, take A LOT of the sacks away from him.
Now to address something that you saw in this post and went "ehhh, that may not be correct." I rated his Rating Potential as "97" because I believe that is his high end. I think he is one of those guys who is either going to be solid or the best player on the team. His speed is SO FAST and plays with so much athleticism that if he figures it out in college, he's going to be near unguardable.
97 is the highest I have given a recruit since doing these recruiting reports and it likely will be the highest I give this year.

Definitely some Aaron Donald in him

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Cyclone4L, what do you know about Tyler Moore and what his football prospects are? This kid was lean at 240 pounds in high school, could be a monster. And he runs the 40 in 4.7-something. Thanks.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Thoughts:
He reminds me of Myles Garrett

• Agree
Reactions: Brandon

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron