Acreage tips from the Fanatics

CHim

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Mowing acres of lawn willingly every week feels like one of the least fulfilling hobbies possible.

• Winner
Reactions: CYDJ and aauummm

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Thanks! I am excited and scared shittless at times.
You'll learn a heck of a lot more from your F ups than successes. And there will be plenty. We bought acreage off a lake 5 years ago. Never had this much land, or a boat, and all the maintenence. The thrill of overcoming obstacles is THE BEST. A few years from now you'll be laughing at what you thought were huge challenges and are now met head on with a quick solution.
Proud of you!

Chelseaczech

Jul 26, 2021
I have a similar situation as described except no horses. We purchased 4 acres where we will be building towards fall. I am thinking 1 acre of good lawn and 3 acres of a bluegrass medium clover blend? I will be retired so mowing is less of an issue but that's not all I want to do either. I looked through ISU pasture blend recs for this but I don't want a tall grass like orchard or brome grass. This will be in NE Iowa.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Moral of the thread: buy a condo with no maintenance.
serious question-

what do you do around the house?

i love being able to walk outside, with no neighbors, go tool around in the yard, or fix something around the house, or mow, or anything, really.

i cannot sit in my house and watch tv for 8 hours straight.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
This will probably step on some toes but I sold feed for 15 years and have known several individuals who have run boarding stables. When dealing with horses the biggest issue is Accounts Receivables. Most horses do not cash flow very well and this can be a constant struggle.
This times 1000. For whatever reason, horse people tend to struggle with payments. I know a couple of area large animal veterinarians that have decided no more horses. 80%+ of their delinquent payments were horse related.

JEFF420

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 6, 2014
Michigan
serious question-

what do you do around the house?

i love being able to walk outside, with no neighbors, go tool around in the yard, or fix something around the house, or mow, or anything, really.

i cannot sit in my house and watch tv for 8 hours straight.

pissing everywhere because im a man and i can

Reactions: 1100011CS

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
JFC hes asking for help. get your boomer ******** out of here

Don't want to rain on your parade but maybe those things should have been budgeted before the purchase. What about manure handling and disposal? Liability insurance for those on your property? Self care until the tenant doesn't show up for a day or two? Snow removal so the tenants can get to their chores?
RagingCloner gonna rage. Interesting that I got "dumb" and a "winner" on the same post. I wish the OP all the success possible, but he stated that he was flying into this adventure somewhat blindly, having no experiences with horses or an acreage. I was simply pointing out other things he may need to address

CHim

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
mowing for me is actually relaxing, most times. takes me anywhere between 2 1/2 - 3 hours to do it all in one setting.
I guess I can see that, being able to physically do something and see results at the end is rewarding. My preference would be towards landscaping the area for plant variety and lower weekly time investment rather than a ton of grass that my guess is never even gets stepped on. Its almost like people are wanting to farm their yard more than anything.

DGC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 16, 2018
As someone who has a small acerage I have a few thoughts. If you are buying a tractor and want horses get a tractor big enough to move round bales. Personally I use a skid loader. Spend the money to get a cab. It’s not alot of fun to be pushing snow and turn into the wind and get a face full. I have run all colors of tractors and they all get the job done. Neighbor just bought a kubota for a fraction of the price of its green counterpart, and it’s nice.

One more note, and I will apologize in advance for this comment, be careful doing business with horse people. Way too many of them are flat broke and will wind up f****** you. $100k for a truck and $50k for a trailer dosent make you rich.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: CYDJ and 0u812

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Until the condo building itself needs serious maintenance / upgrades and no one wants to pay for it.

Next thing you know there's mold everywhere or maybe your rooftop swimming pool ends up in the basement.
“Next thing you know there’s money missing off the dresser and your daughter’s knocked up. I’ve seen it a hundred times.”

Dirt Boy 2

Feb 23, 2013
Get a farm number at the Farm Service Agency. Start asking about beginning farmer programs. After establishing yourself as a beginning farmer for a year, sign up for CSP at NRCS across the hall. Plant trees and native grasses. Profit.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
This times 1000. For whatever reason, horse people tend to struggle with payments. I know a couple of area large animal veterinarians that have decided no more horses. 80%+ of their delinquent payments were horse related.
Probably because 95% of horses in the Midwest generate no income but generate expense every day they are alive. Feed, vet, farrier, tack, boarding, truck and trailer, etc. It is a never ending negative cash flow.

Help Support Us

Become a patron