2nd degree sunburn remedies?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
So I made a big mistake of not using sunscreen the other day and it’s biting me in the ass right now. I’ve developed tons of blisters over both of my shoulders that are extremely painful and annoying. Went to urgent care and the doctor prescribed me Silver Sulfadiazine cream to put on twice a day. So, has anyone dealt with this before? How long before the blister pain goes away? I’ve been using the cream the last few days, but it doesn’t provide any pain relief. I think it’s just there for possible infections. I can barely extend my arms straight up without stinging pain.
Aloe vera gel. Anti viral/microbial/ fungal.

g4ce

Feb 6, 2018
The most effective thing that I have used is, no joke, black tea. Heat up some water on the stove and put in a tea bag. Then let it cool all the way and apply to area using a paper towel or wash cloth. It seems to loosen up and hydrate the skin so it is much less tight and painful. For really bad sunburns just reapply every hour or so. Seems to also lessen the amount of peeling. Don't ask me how though.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I also hear popping the blisters is a big no no?

I can't think of a medical situation where you should pop blisters, honestly.

Cold wet compresses (not ice or ice water) or tea are good OTC solutions.

For basic burn care - wash your hands before touching it, don't pop the burns, don't ever use lotion/grease/butter on them. The cream they gave you is what you should use, other than solarcane or aloe.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This reminds me of college when I canoed all day without a shirt on a camping trip. Like, 10 hours of canoeing.

The pain was really bad for a few days, was really gross when I needed to tuck shirts in so I didn't 'flake' everywhere.

Reactions: Angie

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Went to Walgreens and bought this MG217 Aloe cooling spray with lidocaine in it. It was recommended not to spray on blisters or raw skin, but I’m desperate. Working like magic right now pain wise.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
I don't know if it really helped or not but in my mind it did. I would soak strips of paper bags with vinegar and apply it to the sunburn. Supposedly a cousin found about it during a trip to the California baja after he was burnt bad.
Also I think a cool shower applying noxema cream helped.

cyTOPEia

Nov 25, 2016
Decorah
I agree with most of what’s been said. I usually manage of get one pealing burn each summer (usually just a spot I missed getting sunscreen on). I keep the solarcaine gel and aloe gel in the refrigerator and it feels so good putting it on when it’s cool. Don’t put the solarcaine on any open blisters. I also agree with hydration. I wouldn’t use topical hydrocortisone but I do recommend taking ibuprofen on a scheduled basis for the next several days to keep the inflammation down (as long as your stomach can handle it and you don’t have any other medical contraindications). The blisters will likely pop on their own but leave the loose skin in place as much as possible to protect the open skin underneath. Good luck.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron