***2022-23 MBB General Thread***

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
He also started hot in the non-con. He had a really great game against K-State with 29 but other than that has struggled in conference
Is Hunter an NBA prospect? I was never convinced that he was an NBA prospect. I have never seen Hunter doing what Marcus Carr is doing in this game. He doesn’t have offensive or point guard skills to make to the NBA.
He also started hot in the non-con. He had a really great game against K-State with 29 but other than that has struggled in conference

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I’d rather have KU or even ksu win it. But Texas is better and that’s going to play out over the rest of the season. Just calling it as I see it. ISU could give them a run if they didn’t have a tendency to get sped up and turn the ball over on the road.

I think ISU is better against the good teams and Texas better against the bottom half.d

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Is Hunter an NBA prospect? I was never convinced that he was an NBA prospect. I have never seen Hunter doing what Marcus Carr is doing in this game. He doesn’t have offensive or point guard skills to make to the NBA.

He’s too short to sniff the league unless he radically improves 3 point shooting. It also doesn’t help that he’s not an elite playmaker for other players like Monte, Halliburton and even Lipsey is already.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Not even remotely close at this point IMO. Too small, not a sniper from 3, poor ast/TO ratio, and not good at finishing around the rim. At this point he is a starter level player in the best league in the conference. I'd be surprised if he is even HM all conference at this point though.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I mean this statement is just not correct. They may be the best, but not all that close? Ummm no.
Who is going to push them? Sure the hell not us. Not when we can’t win on the road. I’d love to eat crow here. I guess maybe Baylor can make a run at them.

• Dumb
Reactions: CychiatricWard

Inthesystem

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2009
I don’t think he’s an NBA prospect. I think that’s part of why he left is to cash in now.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Who is going to push them? Sure the hell not us. Not when we can’t win on the road. I’d love to eat crow here. I guess maybe Baylor can make a run at them.
I think I would probably pick Texas to win it all but honestly wouldn't be surprised if they lose a couple in a row if things really unravel. Lots of ego and talent on that team with an interim head coach.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
You aren’t addressing the issue with your statement. They may be the best team and could win it. There’s absolutely nothing crazy about that. But you said it’s not really close, meaning they are far and away the best team. And that’s just not true. They can score no doubt. Their defense is not great and is prone to having down games.

If they win the conference by a game or two that doesn’t mean it wasn’t close. A few plays usually separate a conference champion or not.

Reactions: twincyties

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Regarding Hunter, look at his line tonight. 6 points, no assists, no rebounds, 3 TO. Our guards (Holmes and Lipsey) both killed KU just two days ago. If you’re an NBA prospect, you don’t put up lines like this in critical games. You just don’t. Especially if you’re an undersized guard with a below average 3 point shot. This is not Haliburton at 6’4” and long wingspan.

Also, looks like he’s getting his wish not having to “carry” a team.

Reactions: Clonefan32

Clonefan420

Jan 30, 2023
Regarding Hunter, look at his line tonight. 6 points, no assists, no rebounds, 3 TO. Our guards (Holmes and Lipsey) both killed KU just two days ago. If you’re an NBA prospect, you don’t put up lines like this in critical games. You just don’t. Especially if you’re an undersized guard with a below average 3 point shot. This is not Haliburton at 6’4” and long wingspan.
There was a stretch in the second half were he turned the ball over, got scored on, turned the ball over and got scored on again.

He’s not even the best guard on the team, it’s clearly Carr.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
T
There was a stretch in the second half were he turned the ball over, got scored on, turned the ball over and got scored on again.

He’s not even the best guard on the team, it’s clearly Carr.
heir backup (Rice) should be getting his minutes.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
You aren’t addressing the issue with your statement. They may be the best team and could win it. There’s absolutely nothing crazy about that. But you said it’s not really close, meaning they are far and away the best team. And that’s just not true. They can score no doubt. Their defense is not great and is prone to having down games.

If they win the conference by a game or two that doesn’t mean it wasn’t close. A few plays usually separate a conference champion or not.

That win in Manhattan was the game changer. They were the first contender to go onto another contenders court and win. Look at their schedule…they could very easily have just one more loss, at Baylor. That would win them the conference by 2 games minimum. Believe me, I’m not rooting for it.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
That win in Manhattan was the game changer. They were the first contender to go onto another contenders court and win. Look at their schedule…they could very easily have just one more loss, at Baylor. That would win them the conference by 2 games minimum. Believe me, I’m not rooting for it.
Still not addressing the “not even close” comment.

K State won in Austin and Waco in the same week so Texas wasn’t the first contender to do that.

We crapped the bed against Texas Tech while Texas back in the first game of conference play eked out a 1 point win in Norman. Razor thin to us being in Texas’ position. The Longhorns are still the favorite to win the conference based on their schedule, but again they are the best team and it’s not really close? Just untrue.

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
well we won ay oklahoma and tcu, played very close at osu and tech. should have won both. quit making it seem we got blown out. couple plays go our way and we are singing a different tune

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
well we won ay oklahoma and tcu, played very close at osu and tech. should have won both. quit making it seem we got blown out. couple plays go our way and we are singing a different tune
We lost a 23 point lead by totally melting down and going into the fetal position. In no way “should” we have won that game. Against the worst (winless) team in the conference. We are not a contender until our FR PG proves he can handle the pressure of a desperate team.

• Dumb
Reactions: CychiatricWard

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Still not addressing the “not even close” comment.

K State won in Austin and Waco in the same week so Texas wasn’t the first contender to do that.

We crapped the bed against Texas Tech while Texas back in the first game of conference play eked out a 1 point win in Norman. Razor thin to us being in Texas’ position. The Longhorns are still the favorite to win the conference based on their schedule, but again they are the best team and it’s not really close? Just untrue.
KSU kind of caught teams by surprise early on. They and us both got Baylor when they were not at full strength, which they are now.

I don’t think it’s close because I don’t think Texas has very many losses left on their schedule compared to every other contender. It’s that simple.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018

He doesn’t care. He’s getting paid more than all of us

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

The theory is no he isn't that's why he took the money at Texas.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013

How can you even compare Hunter to Haliburton, who is the best PG in NBA? Haliburton is 6’5”, an elite shooter, and passer. If Hunter has skills like Trae Young, he will have a good chance of making to the NBA

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
How can you even compare Hunter to Haliburton, who is the best PG in NBA? Haliburton is 6’5”, an elite shooter, and passer. If Hunter has skills like Trae Young, he will have a good chance of making to the NBA
I think we’re in agreement here and I’m not saying the two are similar. My point is that Haliburton had tangibles like height and length that Hunter doesn’t have. So if you’re that undersized you better be putting up crazy numbers at college level and doing so on a consistent basis. Their point and assist production through 1.5 years is not all that different (although Haliburton much better shooting percentages).

I see the Trae Young point, but Hunter is not producing anywhere close to what Trae did at OU. Trae averaged over 27 points and nearly 9 assists. His turn over numbers were atrocious and his shooting percentage not great, but Hunter could never match that even if he was as ball dominant as Trae.

Point being Hunter is not the best guard on his team. Probably not even the 2nd best. He might not be a top 10 guard in the big 12.

He’s 29th in points, 16 in assist, 33rd in steals and might be below 50 in FG% (Holmes is 40th at .411 while Hunter is .389).

He doesn’t have the stats, the tangible physical size, nor the instinct as he appears to completely disappear.

Help Support Us

Become a patron