NFL: 2021 salary cap

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Expected to be in the $180 million range

That would be down about 18 million from this year.

12 teams, as of now, would be over the cap. New Orleans is by far the most underwater. Over 90 million over the cap as it stands right now.

Even if Brees retires, it doesn't free up a lot. They're going to look a lot different next year.

• Informative
Reactions: GT25Ump

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I'm wondering if the league will look at ways of getting the cap up some? Like maybe borrowing against future years. It's going to be tough going for a bunch of teams

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I'm wondering if the league will look at ways of getting the cap up some? Like maybe borrowing against future years. It's going to be tough going for a bunch of teams

I thought the NFL offered a deal to hold a portion of the players' salaries in escrow this season for the management side, with borrowing salary cap from the future in return to make 2021 do-able. But the NFLPA said no way.

So now it sounds like teams that cannot convert salary to signing bonuses or some other paper shuffling to get by will have to cut players.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I thought the NFL offered a deal to hold a portion of the players' salaries in escrow this season for the management side, with borrowing salary cap from the future in return to make 2021 do-able. But the NFLPA said no way.

So now it sounds like teams that cannot convert salary to signing bonuses or some other paper shuffling to get by will have to cut players.
I might have missed that. Going to be an interesting year. Maybe Urban Meyer was smart to sign up with the Jags. They've got tons of cap room. They could bring in a haul of free agents

• Agree
Reactions: Die4Cy

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I might have missed that. Going to be an interesting year. Maybe Urban Meyer was smart to sign up with the Jags. They've got tons of cap room. They could bring in a haul of free agents

I'm sure that is part of the equation there.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
There’s never been a better year for some of the forgotten franchises to make a move. Jags are a great example where if they step up, they could have a banner off-season. On the flip side, the Saints are going to look drastically different next year.

ESPN had a good article last week showing what each team would have to do to get close to cap and it was pretty brutal for many.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011

Tons of cap room plus drafting a stud QB that will be locked in at an artificially low salary for 5 years. Urban may be a despicable human, but he’s no dummy.

Help Support Us

Become a patron