***2020 Vikings Thread***

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Spielman nor Zimmer is getting fired. Zygi isn't going to pay them the contract balances due before the ink is even dried.

Kubiak on the other hand is probably feeling some heat for going full DeFillipo.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Spielman needs to go. He has made a lot of bad moves over the years. A lot of 1st round misses. Overpaying an average QB, not addressing the o-line etc. Gladney was not a good 1st round pick. There were 7 or 8 better corners. He has been pretty good at getting talent in the mid rounds of drafts, but still.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Spielman needs to go. He has made a lot of bad moves over the years. A lot of 1st round misses. Overpaying an average QB, not addressing the o-line etc. Gladney was not a good 1st round pick. There were 7 or 8 better corners. He has been pretty good at getting talent in the mid rounds of drafts, but still.
I saw some Viking blogger point out this is the 11th season in a row with a below average to well below average O line. As he said, how many GMs could get away with that?

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
If you are going to suck, go all the way a couple of very good QB's in the upcoming draft

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
There were a couple years where I thought the line was decent. And then Loadholt got hurt and retired. Right now we have three really athletic linemen - O'Neill, Bradbury and Cleveland, but Bradbury has only been average so far and Cleveland couldn't even beat out Reiff for a starting spot. We'll probably be picking pretty high in round 1 and should go with a tackle. It would be great to get Sewell out of Oregon but he'll be a top 3 pick. Cosmi out of Texas would be a great left tackle, and then Cleveland could maybe compete for the left guard spot. You can't have an overpaid average QB playing behind a crappy line every year.

Reactions: Neptune78

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
If you are going to suck, go all the way a couple of very good QB's in the upcoming draft
If the Vikes end up being THAT bad and have the #1 pick, they have to take Trevor Lawrence. He is the best college QB I have ever seen. The Vikings have not had a franchise QB in a very long time. I can't even remember the last one. The Fudge Packers have had two starting QBs in the last 30 years. TWO! While the Vikings just keep bringing in veterans for 2-3 years. It's time to draft a QB. The problem though is that Cousins would then have to be traded and I just don't see anyone wanting to take over a high contract for an average QB. There aren't that many teams needing a QB right now anyways. You can't cut the guy because of the cap hit. Maybe offer him to a team for a 5th round pick and throw in someone like Jeff Gladney just to free up a little more cap space. Hell, trade anyone besides Hunter, Kendricks, Harrison Smith, Brian O'Neill, Cook or Theilan.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If the Vikes end up being THAT bad and have the #1 pick, they have to take Trevor Lawrence. He is the best college QB I have ever seen. The Vikings have not had a franchise QB in a very long time. I can't even remember the last one. The Fudge Packers have had two starting QBs in the last 30 years. TWO! While the Vikings just keep bringing in veterans for 2-3 years. It's time to draft a QB. The problem though is that Cousins would then have to be traded and I just don't see anyone wanting to take over a high contract for an average QB. There aren't that many teams needing a QB right now anyways. You can't cut the guy because of the cap hit. Maybe offer him to a team for a 5th round pick and throw in someone like Jeff Gladney just to free up a little more cap space. Hell, trade anyone besides Hunter, Kendricks, Harrison Smith, Brian O'Neill, Cook or Theilan.

Favre led you guys to the conference championship. Need an offensive coordinator first, then start getting players. A crappy OC doesn’t help.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Seriously though the Vikings GM/coaching seems to be so reactive vs. proactive. They make adjustments well after things are far too out of hand.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Seriously though the Vikings GM/coaching seems to be so reactive vs. proactive. They make adjustments well after things are far too out of hand.
By that logic, we’ve been waiting 5+ years for them to react and address the horrendous OL play. They must think it needs to get worse to get their attention.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

The only real "great" hidden gem of the Spielman era has probably been Thielen, and I don't believe Spielman really had much of anything to do with him latching on.

Of course when you make the playoffs with a relative amount of consistency you didn't do too bad overall in the draft or free agency, but the overall approach needs to change. They started the vicious overpaying veteran cycle back with Bradford and a couple of those OL FA signings at that time. To get out of that they needed to nail the last few drafts and haven't done so. They have had too many big contracts on the defensive side of the ball. And Cook is great, but I suspect we'll end up seeing that contract bite the Vikings in the ass in a couple years too.

The good thing is with as ready as QBs are to play at a high level these days, if they got lucky enough to tank and get a Lawrence or a Fields, there's still enough window with the defense. Granted they will have to hit the mark on some OL moves.

I think they'll end up pulling a typical Vikings down season and do enough to win some games and be outside the top 10. Then Zim will be excited that they get to reach on another mediocre DB.

Reactions: demoncore1031

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Looking at the rest of the schedule I'm not sure tanking will be that hard of a task.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
By that logic, we’ve been waiting 5+ years for them to react and address the horrendous OL play. They must think it needs to get worse to get their attention.

We had the best RB in the last 10-15 years and he stayed a long time and we never figured out to get him some blocking.....then you get Cook who COULD be the top RB with some blocking.